Work Experience: Clinical vs. Scientific

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Type of work experience preffered by admissions:

• Clinical

Votes: 18 69.2%
  • Research

Votes: 8 30.8%

• Total voters

necta

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Wanted to hear what you all thought on the subject of what our dear medical schools would preffer to see in an app as far as work experience. I am at a point where I can either continue in the clinical field (NR-Paramedic) or go on to a research job at the NIH (which would be a huge paycut) while doing a post-bacc program at UMD. I understand that research experience is highly desirable for MSs, but I already have 3+ years resulting in publication. What are your thougths on this topic. Thank you very much.

Members don't see this ad.

If you can get published as first author the research would get the vote from me. You can always volunteer to get clinical experience. I did this and it worked for me.

there is no preference...they want all kinds of experiences...and if you have both of these then that is the ideal of course.

of course if you want to do research later on...and attend a strong research school then obviously the research might be better...but in general for most medical schools...both are desired.

but if it means anything...i have absolutely no research experience and have been accepted to multiple med schools. soi give the slight edge to clinical experience.

Thanks to all that have replied. Keep those poll numbers coming!!
:cool: