Work experience required?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jeffy

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Which programs require applicants to have worked in the field before applying. Harvard seems to make this a requirement and despite that Columbia seems to as well, I have heard that you can get away with going straight from undergrad.

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by Quagmire, M.D.
Which programs require applicants to have worked in the field before applying. Harvard seems to make this a requirement and despite that Columbia seems to as well, I have heard that you can get away with going straight from undergrad.

harvard and hopkins are the most strict, and mostly for the MPH program. YOu can get into public health non MPH programs (MHS, MS) without work experience. I had no problem with columbia, umich, the UC's without work experience.

Yale's MPH program also does not require work experience before applying...

Members don't see this ad :)
The experience requirement may vary by training track. here at Columbia we have several departments, each with several tracks. A couple of them really require some type of prior experience, while others people are getting into right out of undergrad or during medical school. If the experience thing is somewhat of a deterrent, look at the various track offerings.

Would anyone be able to tell me what MPH programs allow you to use the MCAT instead of the GRE if you are not doing a combined MD/MPH? I do not mind taking the GRE if it seems I will not be getting into medical school this time around, but if I do not have to, then I would rather not do so. Thanks for any advice.

i only applied to columbia out of residency...they accepted only my MCATs, but i had pretty strong undergrad grades. a physician colleague of mine had to take her GREs because she got a C in some statistics course in college.

University of Minnesota School of Public Health - no work experience necessary. Great school, too.

I applied for a 2 year work experience required program at Columbia and although I didn't have full time work experience I used my pre-med internships throughout college to apply. It wasn't a problem. I also used my MCATs for Columbia and Yale.

University of Iowa does (accept MCAT for MPH).

Cheers.

UMich SPH Epid didn't require GRE if you had MCAT.

Great school, had a fun time as well :hardy: