Work Experience vs. Extracurricular/Volunteer/Comm.Service

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rryn

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I was filling out the professional experience part and came across a question.

I am doing an unpaid internship at a dentist's office, but wasn't sure where to put it on the application.

I was initially going to put it under Extracurricular/Volunteer/Comm.Service since 1) I dedicate regular amount of time every week, 2) it's unpaid and 3) there are more spaces (10) for this section than for Work Experience (5).

But then I was officially hired through regular application/interview process for this internship, so should it be categorized into Work Experience?

It's a very meaningful activity for me and I hope it can stand out among my other experiences on the application. What's your advice?

Thanks in advance for your inputs! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi, I was filling out the professional experience part and came across a question.

I am doing an unpaid internship at an organization related to dental education, but wasn't sure where to put it on the application.

I was initially going to put it under Extracurricular/Volunteer/Comm.Service since 1) I dedicate regular amount of time every week, 2) it's unpaid and 3) there are more spaces (10) for this section than for Work Experience (5).

But then I was officially hired through regular application/interview process for this internship, so should it be categorized into Work Experience?

It's a very meaningful activity for me and I hope it can stand out among my other experiences on the application. What's your advice?

Thanks in advance for your inputs! :)

If it was unpaid, put it under EC's. Flag it on your coversheet if it's one of your top three EC's.

Thank you so much for your input! :)

So "Extracurricular Activities" aren't limited to club activities, or other SCHOOL activities (that are not related to the regular curriculum), right?

My only concern was that a lot of people put club activities under the Extracurricular/Volunteer/Comm.Service section, so I wasn't completely sure if I can put an internship experience here.

Last edited:
Thank you so much for your input! :)

So "Extracurricular Activities" aren't limited to club activities, or other SCHOOL activities (that are not related to the regular curriculum), right?

My only concern was that a lot of people put club activities under the Extracurricular/Volunteer/Comm.Service section, so I wasn't completely sure if I can put an internship experience here.

Yeah, that section isn't limited to just clubs/school activities.