Work in a free clinic? What's your salary?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BEJ2

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm interested in working in a free or low-cost clinic after a family medicine or internal medicine residency. I'm a non-trad finishing a post-bac now, already owe plenty in student loans from undergrad, and so my debt after medical school will be considerable. I'm sure others are in the same boat, interested in working with the underserved but unclear as to what doctors working (not volunteering) in clinics can expect to make. I understand salaries vary based on region, there are NHSC loan repayment plans to be had at certain places, etc, but I'm asking for hard numbers from anyone who works or has worked as a physician in such clinics.

I'd be particularly interested in clinician salaries in NYC or southern California, if possible, which I know will be substantially lower than in rural areas. Thanks for any info.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the replies! Hopefully people will continue to post...

$100-120/hr in NYC for FP/IM. Most close to 100. Places with good benefits, like being able to retire after 10 yr (which includes 3 yr residency done at city hospital), offers salary on the lower end.

I'm out west, mostly rural. Most FQHCs around here start at least at 120K (truly rural locals are 140-150K start). If you want to be at a truly FREE clinic then I haven't heard of much paying better than 90K...depends on the clinics operation funding source.

Why not consider volunteering also? Work at a "regular" clinic, and volunteer at a community clinic on the side. FQHC has lots of onerous rules and regulations. There are plenty of clinics with opportunities to volunteer that aren't FQHC and have more flexibility.

Why not consider volunteering also? Work at a "regular" clinic, and volunteer at a community clinic on the side. FQHC has lots of onerous rules and regulations. There are plenty of clinics with opportunities to volunteer that aren't FQHC and have more flexibility.

Totally agree. I work at my office as part of a physician group making a nice (OK, very nice) salary, and I volunteer time every month at a free clinic. I don't sacrifice income for being able to help those who need medical care and cannot afford it.

So if you volunteer a professional service, what are you allowed to write off? Just expenses, or more??

There is a difference between a free clinic and a FQHC. The former is typically volunteer-supported (e.g., donations of time and money, with no paid employees). The latter is state and/or federally-supported, with relatively meager income potential compared to private practice. People work there either because they want to, or they have no other options.

You seem to have misunderstood the word volunteer.

I suggested this about 10 posts up. I asked a question, and don't try to BS me about it because people can write off volunteer expenses no matter what. Good grief people...

I suggested this about 10 posts up. I asked a question, and don't try to BS me about it because people can write off volunteer expenses no matter what. Good grief people...

Sorry to "BS" you but I just think it's extremely tacky to be asking about tax write offs when volunteering your time as a physician, even in an online forum. Ask your accountant or read the IRS tax code.

It's like saying "which volunteering opportunities will give me the highest deduction?"

Whatever... you are going to think what you want regardless of what I say. I asked a legit question, it's okay that you don't know the answer. I am sure you'll NEVER EVER check into financial aspects of a job before you take it, or anything like that, that would just be 'tacky'...