Work in Lab to get paid?? Or to increase GPA?? DILEMMA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

johnwandering

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently a work study student with a $2000 work study grant over the year.
However, I noticed that if I Work for Bio 499 credit (research), I can raise my GPA from a 3.49 to a 3.51.
The only problem is that I have to write a paper and present a poster at the end of the semester... which can be considerable work with the load I already have.
Also, a year of research gets harder if you aren't paid...

I was wondering, is it worth the GPA raise?
Or should I just do work study and reap the benefits??

Members don't see this ad.

higher GPA + getting into med school + making 100,000 plus > $2000

Members don't see this ad :)
Tough dilemma. I think it'd go for the 2,000 bucks though. Two hundredths of a grade point are unlikely to make or break you, and it's all about the Benjamins (all 20 of 'em).

Take the $2k. I know you're worried about getting over the 3.5 GPA mark, but the difference is mostly just psychological.

I will receive about $9 a week, 10 hours a week

not bad at all...

Federal workstudy is taxable. You won't be getting $2000. Take the GPA increase if you aren't applying this current cycle. The difference is negligible, but there is some psychological response to seeing that 3.49 vs. a 3.51. Ya know? Some won't agree with me, this is just my feeling.

I'd go for the 0.02 increase.

The GPA cutoff for some schools might be 3.5.

Remember that med schools have to process thousands of applications each year. They could easily set a GPA cutoff of 3.5.

Also, if you want money, you could always work as a waiter or wash cars over the summer. No shame in that kind of work. Do everything you can to protect the GPA.

Last edited:
$9 a week? i hope you meant 9 an hour. thats not much to be honest. but i guess you can knock out research and pay at the same time.

are you one of those ppl that are cool with the decisions you make or do you regret things when things arent going well. application cycle will be for 1 year and if a .02 increase affects you psychologically, it will do for a longer period of time than a $2000

higher GPA + getting into med school + making 100,000 plus > $2000

You act as if not getting the minor grade boost would completely eliminate all chance of being a doctor. If you're that damn borderline, take the $2000 and use it to apply to more schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
You act as if not getting the minor grade boost would completely eliminate all chance of being a doctor. If you're that damn borderline, take the $2000 and use it to apply to more schools.
There's a point of diminishing returns. The OP can make the $2000 in the summer of his application cycle. He should focus on applications and how to improve at this point in time. Its not a huge jump, but its atleast over that 3.5 hump (which is starting to run archaic).

take the money, use it to apply to two more safety schools (with travel included), and pocket the remaining 1k.

can maybe even stretch it to 3 schools if you dont have to travel far.

he can do better than 9 an hour tho (depending on where he's living)

he can do better than 9 an hour tho (depending on where he's living)

Exactly.

He could easily wait tables for much more than that when you include tips. Even working at a grocery store pays more.

I would personally take the money, but when you think about the big picture, 2k is a drop in the bucket considering med school of 30k a year. Plus another 10-15k for living expenses. I doubt +0.02 will be the deciding factor to gaining admission, but I guess ya never know these days.

can't you do both? i'm taking research for credit this semester and getting paid.

do the research. the gpa change might be pointless, but the research and possible abstract/publication will be helpful.

All the points have pretty much been covered, but I vote for the GPA change. I'm applying with <3.5 and I really wish I could go back a year and take another class or two. 2K is nothing to sneeze at, but it's much more fleeting than your grades. I agree with the person who posted about regretting this, I know I would kick myself if the application process went poorly and wonder if it would have turned out differently with a higher GPA.

3.5 will look better thn 3.4 something..lol