Work-life balance remains residents’ biggest challenge: survey

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted87716

See link: Work-life balance remains residents’ biggest challenge: survey

DI_xlAUWsAAT8zf.jpg

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user

See link: Work-life balance remains residents’ biggest challenge: survey

DI_xlAUWsAAT8zf.jpg

This was my biggest argument at my last job. The CEO kept insisting that she couldn't understand why the physicians weren't staying because "we offer a competitive compensation package." When I told her that young grads don't really care about salary as much, they want evenings and weekends free of charts so that they can have a nice dinner with their families, she looked at me like I was crazy.

Oh well, not my problem any more.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Bet a survey among active duty armed service members would yield similar results.

I highly doubt that for most young (18-20 y.o) military members in their first 2 years

edit: if you are talking about officers, or career military, you are probably right. I am not sure what your point is.

Desiring a better work/life balance (really, what it means is less work, and more 'life') is nothing unique to medicine, nor is it a new issue, nor does it mean that anything is technically 'wrong' with the way it currently is. You could survey almost any field and find similar results. "Excuse me sir, would you prefer working more, or spending more time doing other stuff?"

We physicians in general work longer hours than the average 40 hour week. We knew this (hopefully) going in to the gig. The work load is tremendous, but it is what it is. We must tread very lightly on what we deem to be a good solution to this issue.

Desiring a better work/life balance (really, what it means is less work, and more 'life') is nothing unique to medicine, nor is it a new issue, nor does it mean that anything is technically 'wrong' with the way it currently is. You could survey almost any field and find similar results. "Excuse me sir, would you prefer working more, or spending more time doing other stuff?"

We physicians in general work longer hours than the average 40 hour week. We knew this (hopefully) going in to the gig. The work load is tremendous, but it is what it is. We must tread very lightly on what we deem to be a good solution to this issue.

I think that adjusted for age, doctors are less likely to want a work/life balance than other professions. However, a 29 yo doctor who has recently finished residency is more likely to want a good work/life balance than a 19 year old soldier who has just finished basic training.

I highly doubt that for most young (18-20 y.o) military members in their first 2 years

edit: if you are talking about officers, or career military, you are probably right. I am not sure what your point is.
Disagree.

I think that adjusted for age, doctors are less likely to want a work/life balance than other professions. However, a 29 yo doctor who has recently finished residency is more likely to want a good work/life balance than a 19 year old soldier who has just finished basic training.
I've worked with a lot of those young enlisted folks...they all want work life balance too...many just don't want to work (maybe a selection bias here). Some want to work their butt off.

I guess I was wrong. Both doctors and non-doctors are getting lazier these days and both want work-life balance at younger ages. I stand corrected.

I don't think wanting a healthy balance between work and family is being lazy, but ok..

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I am just wondering about work life balance in FM residency what does this really mean? What does a typical FM resident work hours look like on an average week? And a busy rotation? Does it entail 7a7a 24 hour call then going into a straight hours of work 7a-5p having 36hrs roughly of work in 2 days??

I am just wondering about work life balance in FM residency what does this really mean? What does a typical FM resident work hours look like on an average week? And a busy rotation? Does it entail 7a7a 24 hour call then going into a straight hours of work 7a-5p having 36hrs roughly of work in 2 days??

Highly dependent on your program. For an easy month, less than 60hrs a week, weekends off. For a busy month, only getting the required 4 days off, often working 80 hrs a week, several 28 hour shifts.
Side note- what you described isn't allowed. The max you can work is 28 hrs in a row, I think there may be an exception for continuity OB? Or something like that.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Easy rotations are business hours like 8am-5pm with weekends off. I have more of those as a 3rd year. Intern year it was 1 day off a week for most rotations and usually about 12-14 hour days. I can't remember exactly. We can't work more than 1 day in a row with the exception of extreme risk to life for a patient if we are not there. (I have never done it), ob continuity care experiences also take precedence over other things but I've never violated duty hours.

Thanks for the answers :) Really cleared up things and what sort to expect on the work hours. Thinking it is most likely manageable w/ those hours :)
Atleast, I can forget about 36 hours zombie shifts, sleep for 8hrs wake up again next day and go 7a-5p sleep, then back to 36hr zombie mode rinse repeat for a few years. lol