Work or research during the summer?

Discussion in 'Medical Students - MD' started by Matt Norman, Apr 8, 2000.

1. Matt Norman

Matt Norman Member

Hey all, I am an RN an have decided to go to med school. My question is this. I was told that research made it easier to get the residency one desires. However, i would much preferr just to work as an RN. This would allow me continued clinical experience and would help to offset some of the expense of med school What do you folks think? Thanks alot for you help.

Matt

------------------
    Love God, Hate Sin

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. carolyn

carolyn Member

hi matt. where did you hear that research helps one get the residency one desires? i personally have never heard of that. if you are not too interested in research... and you *prefer* working in a clinical setting.. and you need to make money to pay for med school... why not kill two birds with one stone?

many people will point out to you that it's best to do what interests *you* the most. some people love research; i enjoyed doing research during my undergrad, but would have preferred more people interaction and clinical exposure.

i heard that that if you had to choose between research or clinical experience, many adcoms would prefer the latter... because they want to make sure you really appreciate what the medical field entails. if you were able to do both, that's great too. research shows intellectual curiosity and the pursuit of knowledge.

so basically, do what makes you happy. [​IMG]

[This message has been edited by carolyn (edited 04-09-2000).]

4. dthankins

dthankins Member

I disagree with whoever said that research was not important. Research is important when trying to secure a position in a competitive residency program (urology, dermatology, ortho, Ophthalmology, etc.). I am a PT and am in a similar situation. The key for me was to consider that I can do research in the summer between 1st and 2nd year -- we will know more, have more to contribute, and play a more meaningful role in whatever research we choose. Secondly, I too am more clinically oriented -- recognize that there are alot of research opportunities that are more clinical in nature.
    Hope this helps,
    [email protected]

------------------
    [email protected]