Work the summer before attending med school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

clindor

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Everyone,
My parents are being really overbearing about how I need to earn a lot of money this summer while I still can. I have some debt from undergrad, so I plan on working, but since my loans are being deferred I don't see what the big deal is. I know it's good to earn money, but when you are looking at hundreds of thousands of dollars of debt to come, is it worth it to kill yourself to earn money the summer before entering med school?

Members don't see this ad.

clindor said:
Hey Everyone,
My parents are being really overbearing about how I need to earn a lot of money this summer while I still can. I have some debt from undergrad, so I plan on working, but since my loans are being deferred I don't see what the big deal is. I know it's good to earn money, but when you are looking at hundreds of thousands of dollars of debt to come, is it worth it to kill yourself to earn money the summer before entering med school?

yes, especially if its a minimum wage job. Then you will really have to kill yourself in order to pay off all that debt.

Some extra cash won't hurt while you're in med school, but I'd rather enjoy my summer before starting med school this fall as this may be the last time that I would be able to do so.

Members don't see this ad :)
please ENJOY your last carefree summer. work a little if you want, but don't kill yourself. as an M2 looking back, i wish i would have taken more advantage of the laidback lifestyle i used to live.

Making some extra cash during the summer would be productive, but make sure to have some fun too. Maybe you can do something really carefree and non-med related, like waitressing/waitoring or something. I think I'm going to work at Starbucks or be a dog-walker during the few months before med school. :D Just have fun.

I will be working construction...what can I say other than I need the money. I am thinking of trading cars, I will have moving expenses, and I am getting married during the time between my first and second years of med school.

I am also working, hopefully as a kaplan tutor and also at a bookstore. I'm thinking that perhaps I should use my computer expertise (was a software engineer in previous life) to get a better paying job, but I'm not sure I want to spend alot of effort looking for a temp computer job. I would love to travel this summer but the lack of funds means I'll be working. :(

You probably be broke after medical school regardless of whether you earn the extra $4k over the summer so just try to have fun. Being broke with good memories is better than being broke with bitterness that transfers into rage. :laugh:

I worked as a waitress and the few thousand I made did make a real difference in my first year.

I knew that I needed to work this summer, so I started pretty early looking for a job. My critieria were: fun, flexible, non-academic (i.e. NOT research..not doing that again for a while). I was fortunate enough to find something that both pays well and will be very exciting. And I'm not starting work until the end of June, so I have some time off to relax and have fun.

though i am not to the medschool transition phase of life yet it just seems that working three months in the summer does not translate into any type of large nest egg, yet my parents harp on me to work. I end up working ridiculous hours and watch the warm weather from the window of the pharmacy. In the end, i will be lucky to net out about 500$ of savings after paying bills.