Work vs. AEGD/GPR for Ortho?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ziptree

DDS
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a DS4 right now I'm planning to apply to Orthodontics after either working or doing a GPR/AEGD for at least a year or two. I want to see if I really like GP and/or anything else before committing myself to Orthodontics. It was hard to tell during dental school since we never had much exposure to Ortho at all.

There are a few GPR/AEGD programs that have Ortho work for the residents, but not very many. I could probably find a 4-day/week job and study for my GREs or maybe shadow an Orthdontics office while I'm working as a GP, but I doubt it'd be possible with a GPR/AEGD program that works you 5 days a week.

So my question is...which one is more beneficial? GPR/AEGD or private practice?

Does anyone know of any programs that prefer their incoming residents to have private practice work under their belt?

...and who the heck do I get letters of recommendation from one or two years down the road?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a DS4 right now I'm planning to apply to Orthodontics after either working or doing a GPR/AEGD for at least a year or two. I want to see if I really like GP and/or anything else before committing myself to Orthodontics. It was hard to tell during dental school since we never had much exposure to Ortho at all.

There are a few GPR/AEGD programs that have Ortho work for the residents, but not very many. I could probably find a 4-day/week job and study for my GREs or maybe shadow an Orthdontics office while I'm working as a GP, but I doubt it'd be possible with a GPR/AEGD program that works you 5 days a week.

Does anyone know of any programs that prefer their incoming residents to have private practice work under their belt?

...and who the heck do I get letters of recommendation from one or two years down the road?

For your situation I would say work and research. GPR's and AEGD's may provide you with some ortho exposure, but perhaps too little. At the same time, too much dentistry which may be of little value to you (hospital care, fixed, oral surgery).

A major deciding factor to get into ortho is the part I board score. In your situation I think working in a private practice is a good choice. If and when you decide that ortho is what you really what to do, then you may consider doing full time research with ortho faculty in a dental school. GRE does not really need much preparation. Most people get 1200 or above without studying for it.

Members don't see this ad :)

I don't think it would make that much of a difference. But if you do AEGD/GPR, at least you will have a letter of recommendation from a program director. Don't sweat on studying GRE, I don't know any program really seriously look at GRE score any way. St. Barnabas ortho program basically only accepts applicants with GPR/AEGD or private practice experience. To get in ortho, you will need good grades, good board score, research experience, good personality (don't piss off the faculty and residents at interviews), and some luck.....Good luck. By the way, why don't you consider an ortho fellowship program. I know there is one at University of Florida.

Thanks everyone. I might consider re-taking Part Is to get my score as high as possible...anything helps! If I want to do that, I think private practice might give me some more time to do that versus a full time GPR/AEGD.

:)

Any more opinions?

Anyone know of other programs that want experience versus fresh out of dental school?

I would be interested in more opinions as well

Loma Linda, and a couple of the hospital-based programs on the East Coast do.

Anyone know of other programs that want experience versus fresh out of dental school?