Working abroad in China while applying

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Aflac0421

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
There have already been a few threads on this but I just wanted to ask this specifically for my situation.

I'm currently scheduled to work in China until February 6th, meaning that I will not be able to attend interviews until after that date essentially.

I am submitting my apps as early as I can (tomorrow infact) so I can get interview offers earlier. However, I was wondering if coming back Feb 6th is too late and would significantly hurt my chances of getting into med school? I am a re-applicant with a 3.7 and 33 (my former mcat was a 29, and I applied late last year) with pretty much your standard clinical experience/research. I have a holiday break from October 1-7, nevertheless, it would not make financial sense to go back to the US unless I have at least 2 or 3 interviews by then (I am not going to spend $1000+ on one school).

Money is a little bit tight and all, considering salaries in China are pretty low and the fact that apps/airfare is extremely expensive.

Members don't see this ad.

It would depend on the individual schools. I've heard for some schools that later interviews are for a place on the waiting list since they've already accepted enough for their class.

IMO I think you are doing yourself a great disservice by not being available to do interviews during the prime interviewing season. You have a good GPA and a strong MCAT and assuming you applied early and broadly you would get in somewhere if you were available for interviews in the fall but this could really hurt your chances.

There have already been a few threads on this but I just wanted to ask this specifically for my situation.

I'm currently scheduled to work in China until February 6th, meaning that I will not be able to attend interviews until after that date essentially.

I am submitting my apps as early as I can (tomorrow infact) so I can get interview offers earlier. However, I was wondering if coming back Feb 6th is too late and would significantly hurt my chances of getting into med school? I am a re-applicant with a 3.7 and 33 (my former mcat was a 29, and I applied late last year) with pretty much your standard clinical experience/research. I have a holiday break from October 1-7, nevertheless, it would not make financial sense to go back to the US unless I have at least 2 or 3 interviews by then (I am not going to spend $1000+ on one school).

Money is a little bit tight and all, considering salaries in China are pretty low and the fact that apps/airfare is extremely expensive.

I'm in a similar situation. I'm abroad in Africa, but I've decided to take my vacation in October to go back to America. I'm letting schools know that if they want to interview me, they'll have to do it then. I personally think February is a little late and I wouldn't be comfortable waiting that long, but I think October is almost too early. Unfortunately I can't make it back any later before Christmas so October it is. I guess I don't have any hard info for you, but I'm in the same boat! I think we just have to do the best we can with what we've got. I can only make it to the states once, so hopefully schools like me enough to throw some interviews my way during that time!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hmm yeah... I think I will have to come back October 1-7. Man... that will be a tight schedule (and expensive >.< ... I'm in the boonies of China, so I'm going to have to make some domestic flights to Beijing before flying to the US).

I heard a few schools give interview offers during September, so maybe I can get at least two for the beginning of October (shouldn't count on it).

I better get all my secondaries sent in extra early.

I'm in a similar situation. I'm abroad in Africa, but I've decided to take my vacation in October to go back to America. I'm letting schools know that if they want to interview me, they'll have to do it then. I personally think February is a little late and I wouldn't be comfortable waiting that long, but I think October is almost too early. Unfortunately I can't make it back any later before Christmas so October it is. I guess I don't have any hard info for you, but I'm in the same boat! I think we just have to do the best we can with what we've got. I can only make it to the states once, so hopefully schools like me enough to throw some interviews my way during that time!

Hey, I'm planning on doing the same thing, but I can only get about 2 weeks off. When are you emailing your schools? What are you saying? I don't want to sound presumptuous.

Hey, I'm planning on doing the same thing, but I can only get about 2 weeks off. When are you emailing your schools? What are you saying? I don't want to sound presumptuous.

I have a little comment at the end of my personal statement saying when I'll be available and I'm also planning on emailing schools after I submit secondaries. I mean, I don't want to be presumptuous either, but there's nothing else I can do, you know?

I have a little comment at the end of my personal statement saying when I'll be available and I'm also planning on emailing schools after I submit secondaries. I mean, I don't want to be presumptuous either, but there's nothing else I can do, you know?

hm, i definitely didn't put it in my PS, but it should be evident from my app that i'm here. i'm gonna ask my premed advisor, but i guess secondary submission would be a good time.

a note tho - secondaries obviously don't get reviewed right away, so i'm planning on emailing or snail-mailing a separate notice about my situation after i submit the secondary.

a note tho - secondaries obviously don't get reviewed right away, so i'm planning on emailing or snail-mailing a separate notice about my situation after i submit the secondary.

exactly. I'll probably send the notice right after I submit the secondaries. That way they'll know that they need to look at my file earlier than they might have otherwise.