Working alone dentist, is this leagal?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tjddmskiss

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am just curious about my dentist. She doesn't even have a secretary. When phone rings, she usually stopped surgery and come back after. This is why I always get discount from her since she doesn't have too much overhead. is this legal by working alone in a clinic?

Members don't see this ad.

I am just curious about my dentist. She doesn't even have a secretary. When phone rings, she usually stopped surgery and come back after. This is why I always get discount from her since she doesn't have too much overhead. is this legal by working alone in a clinic?

I've seen dentists work alone before and it is legal. The 2 that I've seen were older. Neither had an assistant and one had a front desk person. They hired me to do hygiene. Neither dentist sterilized the handpiece nor disinfected the operatory.
Is she an older dentist? I wonder if she disinfects the room after each patient? Maybe she can't keep a staff happy long enough to stay.:confused:

If she's a recent grad maybe she's just starting out and can't afford a staff yet?

Seems inefficient. I mean, not having an assistant is one thing, but stopping surgery to pick up the phone. That just seems impractical and counter productive.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've seen dentists work alone before and it is legal. The 2 that I've seen were older. Neither had an assistant and one had a front desk person. They hired me to do hygiene. Neither dentist sterilized the handpiece nor disinfected the operatory.
Is she an older dentist? I wonder if she disinfects the room after each patient? Maybe she can't keep a staff happy long enough to stay.:confused:

If she's a recent grad maybe she's just starting out and can't afford a staff yet?

Umm, OSHA anyone? That just scares me. :eek:

It's legal and possible but not wise. I always have someone else in the room with me cause people are always trying to make a quick buck with their sexual harassment lawsuits. We have 5% of the world's population but 95% of the world's lawsuits.

I visited my dentist again today. She looks old, but I only could guess since she always wear mask and protective glass on her eye. I visited her clinic 5 times so far, but I have never seen her actual face yet. Can't you imagine that? So I start to talk to her today about my future dentistry career, she told me that she will retire soon within 2 years.

It's legal and possible but not wise. I always have someone else in the room with me cause people are always trying to make a quick buck with their sexual harassment lawsuits. We have 5% of the world's population but 95% of the world's lawsuits.

I shadowed a dentist who said this as well. To keep potential (and unfounded) sexual harrassment lawsuits away, he never opens the office alone. There's always someone else present in the office for this reason.

Since the OP’s dentist is a female, it should be OK. If you are a male dentist and your patient is a female, you should either hire a female assistant or ask the patient’s relative to sit right next to the patient.

My brother is a physician and he doesn't see female patients without the nurse in the room. It's a shame that people will try to sue you any chance they get.

What your dentist needs is a hands free/blue tooth phone. That way they can conduct business while doing dental work. lol

Very, very, very true. Never be in an operatory, especially if it has closed doors, solo with a patient. It's just asking for trouble.

As for a dentist doing everything him/herself. You can have as many or as few employees to help you run your practice as you so choose (or decide that you can afford)

it's legal and possible but not wise. I always have someone else in the room with me cause people are always trying to make a quick buck with their sexual harassment lawsuits. We have 5% of the world's population but 95% of the world's lawsuits.

+1.

what it be legal to have a camera installed? like for example the hidden camera types?

what it be legal to have a camera installed? like for example the hidden camera types?

You should put a sign clearly telling patients and employees they're being watched for their safety. There have been numerous cases of doctors/dentists losing their license over hidden cameras in the bathroom.