working and school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mozart_fan

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any body here work alot and go to school (undergrad or other)? How many days/hours? How do you handle it?
----
I now work 3 days one week (with a Sunday off) and four days the other week. Nothing ever exceeds 20 hours. I find it do-able while taking Organic and Bio. The thought of leaving the job crossed my mind because I will have to complete my associates degree at a further community college (for the better because of the school). Not only that I commute by bus sometimes because of share a car with my brother. I don't want to quit becaue the job is in a pharmacy and I hope adcoms will even care about it.

Members don't see this ad.

i worked 40+ hours and went to school full time, the more busy you are the more stuff you get done. but if its hurting your grades, better quit or work less

Hey, I worked 15-20 hours a week during my last two years of college, (also while taking orgo and bio at once plus 3 more classes). Although it did take away some time I could've spent studying/doing ECs, I think it made me manage time better. My GPA actually improved when I worked more but it did get difficult from time to time.

I also worked as a pharm tech for about six months. It is a good experience for med school applicants, I think, you get to interact with people, learn about meds and it's a little different from what most pre-meds do.

Members don't see this ad :)
My junior year I worked 20-25 hrs a week and took 21 hours. It sucked big time, but I actually think that because I was so busy I was more responsible and got better grades...

madonna said:
i worked 40+ hours and went to school full time, the more busy you are the more stuff you get done. but if its hurting your grades, better quit or work less

I only work 15 hours a week (in a pharmacy) so because I have lots of time to study, I tend to put it off. :p So I agree with you, the busier you are the more you get done!

BradenDO said:
I only work 15 hours a week (in a pharmacy) so because I have lots of time to study, I tend to put it off. :p So I agree with you, the busier you are the more you get done!

for a about 6 six I only worked sat and sunday. then that pharmacy clerk left....i was okay with working 3-4 days....besides...when i worked two days I week I put off studying so much

What is your native language mozart fan?

MercyKillerDoc said:
What is your native language mozart fan?
my native language is english. i know... i type fast and make typos

I work 35-40 hours per week as a painter (not art... houses). yeah, crappy work but it pays my tuition/rent/whatever else comes up. Well anyways I just wanted to say that I think that a strong work ethic and determination are by far the best indicators of success in ones future. That being said, while I do think that working so much has hurt my GPA (well, not too bad) and kept me from becoming involved in many ECs, I wouldn't have it any other way. I really do believe that having to work so much while in school has in some way prepared me to be a better physician in the future. Also, I know that no matter how tough I think my life is there are always people worse off, people that could never dream of having the opportunities that I have so I am truly grateful for everything that I have.

Hausdaddy24 said:
I work 35-40 hours per week as a painter (not art... houses). yeah, crappy work but it pays my tuition/rent/whatever else comes up. Well anyways I just wanted to say that I think that a strong work ethic and determination are by far the best indicators of success in ones future. That being said, while I do think that working so much has hurt my GPA (well, not too bad) and kept me from becoming involved in many ECs, I wouldn't have it any other way. I really do believe that having to work so much while in school has in some way prepared me to be a better physician in the future. Also, I know that no matter how tough I think my life is there are always people worse off, people that could never dream of having the opportunities that I have so I am truly grateful for everything that I have.

I worked 40 hours while taking a full-load in college. It didn't hurt my GPA, but I couldn't do any research because of the time conflict. I had time during the weekend to do EC's

ClearDay said:
I worked 40 hours while taking a full-load in college. It didn't hurt my GPA, but I couldn't do any research because of the time conflict. I had time during the weekend to do EC's

when did you study?

At one of my interviews they asked if I worked significant hours while going to school.

I think adcoms take that into account

i did research + work = 20 hours for two years

It drains you but its worthed. Builds character and prepares you for worse things in life i guess.

I gotta follow the american dream.

I work about 40 hrs per week, plus on-call time, doing body removals for a group of funeral homes, as well as the "paper products" (the little handouts you get at funerals), assisting with embalming and funeral setups, driving the hearse, etc. Lots of busy work, nothing too stressful and the people I deal with are interesting (families and friends of the deceased, as well as the always interesting staff at the funeral homes).

I also work one night as a waiter at a German restaurant as a favor to the owner who is a friend of mine and because they feed me at the end of my shift.

I have worked at least 20+ hrs/week at least every year I have gone to school. This year I work 20 hours every week at a pharmaceutical company doing medicinal chemistry work. On wed. I also TA for 4.5 hours for a gen chem lab (which is awesome since I basically get paid $40/hr to TA).

Pick two:
1. School
2. Work
3. Friends

but if its hurting your grades, better quit or work less
:laugh:
I'm not laughing at you, but for some reason I found this soo funny!

If I stop working, I also have to stop eating, learn how to read in the dark and turn the trunk of my car into my bathroom! hahahaha

A couple of times I've had to choose between school or work. I had obligations so I had to pick work. No worries though. The next smester I was back in rare form!

Things like that just make you stronger and even more determined. You are grateful every time you are able to study for your exam and still get 5 hours of sleep before you have to be at work at 6:45am.

If you can get enough aid/loans/grants to cover everything and lighten your load, TAKE IT!

:thumbup:

tacmrage said:
Pick two:
1. School
2. Work
3. Friends

:laugh: Yep so true.

Or if you married....

1. School
2. Work
3. Friends/happy spouse

pick 2 ^^^:

I work 40 hours a week and have a 4.0-- it's a lot of work, but I agree completely that the more you do, the harder you work and the better you have to manage your time.
However, I had a real heart to heart w/ my advisor on Friday, and he loaded me up with a thick schedule next semester and then told me I'd never be able to do it while working 30 hours a week. Then he asked me if I wanted to be a doctor or not.
So, even though I'm working for one of my friend's mom, I had to talk with her today about me quitting next semester. (That was tough to get the guts for!) And then she asked if I would work for her part time instead of quitting. Yay! Go Part Time! Just hope my grades don't suffer because I'll have more time on my hands.
Oh, and I do find time to be with my friends/boyfriend... It's just not a lot!

Yes, I consider it a rite of passage.

How are people who've never held down a real job and only had to worry about homework going to cope with being Drs? I don't mean that insultingly, I just can't imaging going straight to MD with no real work exp.

I worked 30 hrs a weeks throughout my undergrad, now work 40-50hrs/week while taking on average 8-10 hours a semester. Work will likely drop to 35 when my new research starts.