Working Around 9 months of the year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Angry Birds

Angry Troll
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi folks,

I'm an EM attending, planning on starting a part-time PhD in Europe. Although I don't know the exact details yet, I think I will need to take off about 3 or 4 months per year to do this. I can't spread these days out and will need to block off this time, probably something like 2 months at a time (twice a year).

I still need to earn a living, so what are my options? I figure no ED would want to hire someone who needs entire months off, so here is what I've narrowed my options down to:

1) Locum Tenens.

2) Firefighter position at a CMG. (Would they be open to me working only 9 months of the year?)

Biggest con of these two options for me is that I don't want to have to keep relocating and traveling to work, living out of a hotel, etc. Can I just get a firefighter position where I restrict my work radius to 1 hour driving distance?

Any other options you can think of for me?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

In Texas, you can do locums living in almost any city with very little travel.

Dallas, Houston, SA, and possibly Austin. You can work as little or as much as you like living in said city.

In Texas, you can do locums living in almost any city with very little travel.

Dallas, Houston, SA, and possibly Austin. You can work as little or as much as you like living in said city.

Thanks, good to hear!

So I guess it's about calling around and speaking to locum tenens services...