Working as a Dental Assistant in gap year

B

BlueWolv

Ive been working as a dental assistant full time since June and am considering doing something different for the next half of my gap year in between undergrad and D school. Ive learned TONS of valuable things about running a practice, interacting with patients, procedures, billing/insurance, lab work, I've even completed several CE courses. I know that I'm ahead of the game because most other pre-dents don't have nearly as much professional experience. By now though im kinda getting bored at the assistant level and am thinking of doing something different until school starts (if accepted). As dental students, do you think more practice working with patients will give me a big advantage to doing well in d school? Is it worth it to continue assisting to get ass much practice as possible or do you think 6 months full time is more than enough and it won't really be much of an advantage in school? Like I said, im bored to death 50% of the time just cleaning equipment and rooms and managing the schedule. the other 50% when im working with patients is awesome though. any thoughts? Thanks!

dentstd

Fena Gonzales
10+ Year Member
Oct 14, 2006
Status
Dental Student
Ive been working as a dental assistant full time since June and am considering doing something different for the next half of my gap year in between undergrad and D school. Ive learned TONS of valuable things about running a practice, interacting with patients, procedures, billing/insurance, lab work, I've even completed several CE courses. I know that I'm ahead of the game because most other pre-dents don't have nearly as much professional experience. By now though im kinda getting bored at the assistant level and am thinking of doing something different until school starts (if accepted). As dental students, do you think more practice working with patients will give me a big advantage to doing well in d school? Is it worth it to continue assisting to get ass much practice as possible or do you think 6 months full time is more than enough and it won't really be much of an advantage in school? Like I said, im bored to death 50% of the time just cleaning equipment and rooms and managing the schedule. the other 50% when im working with patients is awesome though. any thoughts? Thanks!
Dental assisting is one of the biggest waste of time as far a preparing for dental school goes. Find yourself something better to do.

SeattleRDH

Moderator Emeritus
Mar 10, 2010
Duh
Status
You are going to be working in a dental office for the rest of your life. Take a break while you still can!

OP
B

BlueWolv

Point taken. I was already planning to do something else, I just wanted to see if anyone had a good reason to keep doing it. Thanks!

diplo123

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 1, 2008
Status
Pre-Medical
As an assistant, you see the dentist perform various procedures like crown preps, root canals, etc. You have no idea how much thought, knowledge and experience goes into it. Plus the surgical hand skills needed. I once knew a dental assistant who wanted to go to dental school. She said she thought it would be very easy. lol they have no idea; they think it's just a crash course on a few procedures they think they understand. Definitely quit and go on vacation.