working as a dental assistant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hammoudeh71

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone.. i know i have been asking alot of Qs lately, but i am pretty sure someone out there wont hesitate to help me :) i was wondering how easy is it for a FTD (permanent resident) to find a paid MALE dental assistant job in the states? and in case thats possible, how much (on average) do they usually pay per hour?

Members don't see this ad.

All depends where you would like to work.
In some states you will need a licence,in some you don`t and you can work like assistant with expended functions, which means that you would be paid more.

As of been easy or hard to find a job as a male I would say it all depends of you, what you can do and how good you can "sale" yourself,I found a job after couple of weeks of searching Craiglist and local newspapers.

Thanks alot for the reply, to be honest i am interested to work in seattle/WA. The registration for dental assistant is easy but i dunno what r my shots there. Do u have any information about the states that does not require registration? can u name a couple of them? and again, how much do they usually pay on average? cuz i have no clue at all..thanks again i appreciate ur reply

All depends where you would like to work.
In some states you will need a licence,in some you don`t and you can work like assistant with expended functions, which means that you would be paid more.

As of been easy or hard to find a job as a male I would say it all depends of you, what you can do and how good you can "sale" yourself,I found a job after couple of weeks of searching Craiglist and local newspapers.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello everyone.. i know i have been asking alot of Qs lately, but i am pretty sure someone out there wont hesitate to help me :) i was wondering how easy is it for a FTD (permanent resident) to find a paid MALE dental assistant job in the states? and in case thats possible, how much (on average) do they usually pay per hour?
hey why not try your luck at the dental school, that way you may have opportunity to practice for your preps also for later , you will have to try and see how you can put a foot in the door, GOOD LUCK

well i am already planning to apply to dental school (advanced standing) but the point is that from the time i leave to the states until the program starts in case i got accepted, it will be almost a whole year! so in additon to strengthening my resume, i need a job that can support me enough cuz i am a married man and my wife will be with me (no kids), thats all why i really need to get a paid job in my field until school starts:confused:

hey why not try your luck at the dental school, that way you may have opportunity to practice for your preps also for later , you will have to try and see how you can put a foot in the door, GOOD LUCK

Not more than $11 if...but some offices start with $8-10
they don't really care if you are a FTD

I can only tell you about Illinois and Indiana.
In Illinois you can`t work like DA with expended functions just a DA and again depends where you are going to work ,In downtown Chicago you can find a job for up to 20$/h.
in Indiana on the other hand you can work like a DA with expended functions but your starting salary would be in the range of 10-20$.
About the comment that they don`t care about the fact that you are FTD that s not true they prefer someone who have advance knowledge of dentistry it`s much easier for someone like you do any of the expended functions that DA does like place 3 surface filling or make a temp then someone who just come out of DA school so have big advantage from the start.
I hope that helps:thumbup:

Thanks alot for the valuable information, i think such salary wud be enough for me to afford living expenses as a start, but wut worries me the most is that i have this persuasion (i dunno if its true) that MALE assistants are not wanted which could put more hardships on me to find someone who's actually willing to pay me.. i hope it works...thanks alot