Working as a dental hygienist:

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Reed1978

Jou Kak is Geboek!
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just told by a Tufts dental alumnus that he was able to work as a dental hygienist after his second year at school - and that he was making about $25/hour back in 1991 doing so.

Just wondering how many people actually do this - and how much additional time does this take out of your lives, and is it worth it?

Members don't see this ad.

Yep, in MA you can become licensed as a dental hygienist after your 2nd year dental school, after you have passed the NBDE Pt. I, the MA jurisprudence exam, and the MA dental hygiene exam run by the NERB.

Is it worth it? It's up to you. If you have time to kill on weekends and want to make some extra bucks, sure.

UBTom said:
Yep, in MA you can become licensed as a dental hygienist after your 2nd year dental school, after you have passed the NBDE Pt. I, the MA jurisprudence exam, and the MA dental hygiene exam run by the NERB.

Can you become a hygienist after your second year in New York State?

Members don't see this ad :)
Heya,

I'm not aware of NYS allowing dental students to be licensed as hygienists.. After looking through the NYSED website on dental licensure I didn't find anything that says it can be done. I can be wrong though. :p

Hey Tom!!

Like your sig :thumbup:

I heard the same for Texas. But surely nice to be able to make that much, surely would help out the expense.