Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Working as a Medical Assistant in Cardiology clinic

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by gayhopefulnurse_93, Aug 12, 2015.

1. gayhopefulnurse_93

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    Hey y'all! I've been lurking the forums, and I think it's my time to ask for advice now. I just landed a position with a Cardiology medical group, one that was willing to take me in and accommodate to my final semester in the fall before going full time in December. I'm really excited because this is my first real hands-on experience in the doctor's office, coming from a psychology background. I'm no Cardiology expert, but I do know the basics. What should I expect in a Cardiology clinic? Any words of wisdom? Btw, I'm planning to apply to either med school or nursing after a few years (3-5) because I need to gain experience and take my pre-reqs - trust me, I need those years after an awful burnout. Plus, it will buy me time to decide which path is right for me. Thanks, y'all!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Caffein3

Caffein3 Projection Room above the Auditorium
    2+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Pre-Medical
    I've never been a medical assistant, but I'd assume you'll be taking vitals, patient history, and probably some clerical work. This is a great time to practice your clinical skills and learn how to talk to patients, make them feel comfortable.

Aside from that I'm sure that if you hook a patient up to an ECG or something of the sort, you can probably ask the physician you're working with to explain what the peaks mean, how the read out works, etc. sounds like a good clinical experience!

4. AlfonsTheGuru

AlfonsTheGuru Surgeons aren't what they used to be.
    Removed Account on Hold 2+ Year Member

Other Health Professions Student
    Be comfortable doing phlebotomies and ECG's. Besides that, this is great clinical experience and you'll look good as an applicant :)