Working as a Pharmacy Technician with an Intern license but not a tech license?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HR91

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a first year Pharmacy student and I don't have a Pharmacy Technician license and have never worked as a tech before. I will be getting my Intern license at the end of my P1 year and I was wondering if I don't get an internship position through the internship program at school, can I apply independently and work as a technician over the summer with just an Intern license and no Technician license? Or would it better for me to take the PTCB exam and get that tech license instead of risking not getting any job with just an Intern license?

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know if it is the same in different states. But I'll tell you my situation. I have my license as a tech and I asked the PIC if I can still work as a tech when I start pharm school and he said that it will be different. I will be treated as an intern pharmacist instead of a tech. Tech and intern pharmacists have different responsibilities and tasks. Also, he said that some hospitals/places don't hire intern pharmacists.

I don't think you have to take the PTCB and get a tech license. An intern pharmacist license is sufficient to get part time or per diem work. It just really depends on the hospital you are working at. It works best if you know the people working at the pharmacy so they can "hook you up." Just continue looking. Try indeed.com or simplyhired.com and search "intern pharmacist."

Good luck!

In Texas, you can work as a technician with an intern license granted that you do not perform any pharmacist/intern responsibilities. However, you will not get credit for those intern hours and it also dependent on the pharmacy that wants to pay you as an intern or technician wage.