Working as a (post grad, salaried) research associate vs (unpaid) undergrad research

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TragicalDrFaust

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does either look better or worse to admissions committees? My pre-health adviser was not able to give me a straight answer. I'm graduating with a BS in biochemistry in May and I would love to make $30-$40k/yr compared to working uncompensated in a lab for a professor at my university. However if working in the undergrad lab looks better, that's what I need to do. I'm not sure what the salaried position entails. Would it give me research experience that med schools would be interested in hearing about? How is it similar or different compared to working in a lab at my university? Does my type of research experience even matter if I'm not applying to top tier schools or research schools?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not really sure. Personally, I'd go the academic route. But either would "probably" be sufficient. But it also depends on what medical school you intend to attend. If it's research heavy school, then undergraduate research would be ideal "I would imagine".

apply for paid undergraduate research, problem solved. what's your state of residence or are you willing to move?

Members don't see this ad :)
Does either look better or worse to admissions committees? My pre-health adviser was not able to give me a straight answer. I'm graduating with a BS in biochemistry in May and I would love to make $30-$40k/yr compared to working uncompensated in a lab for a professor at my university. However if working in the undergrad lab looks better, that's what I need to do. I'm not sure what the salaried position entails. Would it give me research experience that med schools would be interested in hearing about? How is it similar or different compared to working in a lab at my university? Does my type of research experience even matter if I'm not applying to top tier schools or research schools?

Thanks
Many research universities hire lab techs that need to hold a bachelor's degree. They make 30k a lot of times. Academic, and paid.

Consider that medical schools value clinical experience far more than research. If you were to look for a gap-year job, I think you'd benefit more from a patient care job than research job. If you have a strong preference for the research job, you may be better suited for PhD programs. Medical schools may wonder the same.

With that in mind, my recommended course of action (if you want research experience) would be volunteer research now, paid clinical after graduation. Don't neglect clinical experience now though.

Make sure you can afford to apply, or this conversation is moot.

Paid clinical experience is awful, the hours are horrendous, the pay is bad and you have to do the worst work at the hospital. volunteer clinically now and do research after you graduate, you’ll have regular hours and can put a lot of time into getting publications and networking

Reactions: 1 user
do you mean working in an undergrad lab while taking classes and otherwise being an undergrad, or staying around after graduation to work uncompensated? The former could be good for you, but the latter is a terrible idea compared to taking a salaried research associate position, don't do that.

What experience you'll get is going to vary dramatically based on where you work, in what kind of lab, etc. An NIH postbac IRTA is going to have a different experience than someone who gets hired as a tech in a smaller local lab who is going to have a different experience than an undergrad volunteering in a university lab. If you have specific types of positions you're looking at, we can give better feedback.

Thanks
I can't believe that you would have to ask a question like this.

Of course a job looks better. Take the paid position!!!! The job description should tell you what the duties are. To me, "research associate" means some type of lab work...but this can range from running experiments to simply cleaning mouse cages and washing glassware. No matter, employment is a good thing no matter what your career goals are.

Reactions: 1 users
apply for paid undergraduate research, problem solved. what's your state of residence or are you willing to move?
I live in Maryland so there are plenty of local opportunities. I certainly be willing to move if the pickings are better elsewhere though!

do you mean working in an undergrad lab while taking classes and otherwise being an undergrad, or staying around after graduation to work uncompensated? The former could be good for you, but the latter is a terrible idea compared to taking a salaried research associate position, don't do that.

What experience you'll get is going to vary dramatically based on where you work, in what kind of lab, etc. An NIH postbac IRTA is going to have a different experience than someone who gets hired as a tech in a smaller local lab who is going to have a different experience than an undergrad volunteering in a university lab. If you have specific types of positions you're looking at, we can give better feedback.
Ok I'm glad to hear that. I'm currently a medical scribe and working another job on the weekends so I decided looking for undergrad research would be biting off more than I can chew. I'm not looking at any specific positions although I'm located near pharmaceutical companies, research universities and some NIH stuff (and I didn't realize how lucky I am until I typed that all out lol)

I can't believe that you would have to ask a question like this.

Of course a job looks better. Take the paid position!!!! The job description should tell you what the duties are. To me, "research associate" means some type of lab work...but this can range from running experiments to simply cleaning mouse cages and washing glassware. No matter, employment is a good thing no matter what your career goals are.
Thank you for your reply. I realize it sounds like an absurd question from a common sense perspective but I've heard a few conflicting stances on this topic, the main argument for academic research being that you'll get to work more closely with your PI and possibly have the opportunity to design your own experiments or get your name on something published.

Many research universities hire lab techs that need to hold a bachelor's degree. They make 30k a lot of times. Academic, and paid.

Consider that medical schools value clinical experience far more than research. If you were to look for a gap-year job, I think you'd benefit more from a patient care job than research job. If you have a strong preference for the research job, you may be better suited for PhD programs. Medical schools may wonder the same.

With that in mind, my recommended course of action (if you want research experience) would be volunteer research now, paid clinical after graduation. Don't neglect clinical experience now though.

Make sure you can afford to apply, or this conversation is moot.
Thank you. I'm currently a medical scribe and I plan on shadowing a physician this summer. I was told most medical schools want to see candidates have done research so I wanted to make sure my application wasn't deficient in that respect. It also looks like research is one of the better paying options for someone with a BS in biochemistry, so I was hoping I could knock out two birds with one stone.

Thank you. I'm currently a medical scribe and I plan on shadowing a physician this summer. I was told most medical schools want to see candidates have done research so I wanted to make sure my application wasn't deficient in that respect. It also looks like research is one of the better paying options for someone with a BS in biochemistry, so I was hoping I could knock out two birds with one stone.
You were told wrong and research is actually of only moderate importance to most Adcoms. Where is the wise @gonnif with his data!?!

At least where I'm at, entry level research pays ~$12/hr and entry level clinical care closer to ~15. Not to be confused with scribe, which isn't patient care (still worthwhile, it's "medical/clinical" for application purposes) and pays dirt in most cases.

I’d recommend sticking with medical scribe if it’s paid. But if you’re aiming for Top20 schools, it’s helpful to have some research experience. The NIH post-bac research program is AMAZING for that.

Paid clinical experience is awful, the hours are horrendous, the pay is bad and you have to do the worst work at the hospital. volunteer clinically now and do research after you graduate, you’ll have regular hours and can put a lot of time into getting publications and networking

Politely, I couldn’t disagree more.

Everyone here has this weird obsession with scribing, which has tough aspects and ~0% actual patient care, or CNA-type work which is literally the Sh*ttiest job in the hospital.

Some outside the box clinical work (Red Cross, phlebotomy, Dialysis, surgical tech etc.) can be fun, rewarding, and way more medical/hands on than any of the above.

But if you want easy and convenient I suppose you’re stuck on scribe, since there’s plenty of companies ready to exploit premeds everywhere.

Regarding OP and the research, I think aiming to publish is a good idea regardless of which avenue you choose. However, unless you’re applying to research heavy schools or for MD/PhD programs, it’s not a requirement by any stretch as you can see from AAMC information gathered from admissions departments.

Do what makes the most sense for yourself — if you need the cash, take the paid job. If you like the academic setting better/have better autonomy, pick that. You can’t choose wrong.