Working at Epic before Medical School?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Awfullyfly

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone.

Does anyone know anything about working at Epic (specifically technical services) before going to Medical School?

I'm a fourth year and I just got offered a job there. For various reasons, I'm planning to take two years to work before (hopefully) attending medical school. In terms of applying, how does it compare to doing research or working in a hospital directly? Does anyone know someone who went to med school after working for Epic?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone.

Does anyone know anything about working at Epic (specifically technical services) before going to Medical School?

I'm a fourth year and I just got offered a job there. For various reasons, I'm planning to take two years to work before (hopefully) attending medical school. In terms of applying, how does it compare to doing research or working in a hospital directly? Does anyone know someone who went to med school after working for Epic?
I've met some people on the interview trail that work for Epic. Not sure how much of a difference it makes, but it seems like a good gig if you're interested.

I know of people I graduated with who went to work at epic. None of them planned to go into medicine, they are engineers. I would say working there will not increase your resume for applying to medical school. If you want to increase your chances then you should work in research. Perhaps you could take the job if you also planned to spend time volunteering at a hospital but I still don't think that will be as impactful as full time research.

Members don't see this ad :)
Epic recruited pretty hard at my UG, since it was close to their campus. My understanding is that Epic is notorious for taking fresh out of college grads, working them like crazy, and then finding a new group of grads when the first group washes out.

I seem to see an interview report from at least one Epic employee per year... I don't know how many apply here or how many get admitted but it certainly won't hurt your chances of getting into med school.