working during medical school (RA)- tips?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Adcadet

Long way from Gate 27
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all -
I will be starting med school in the fall, and plan on doing ~10 hours/week as a research assistant during my first two years of medical school. Is there any financial aid info I should know or be aware of given that I'll be working and making some money?

When I crunch the numbers I get some impressive results. A while back I figured that at my state school (U of MN), working 10 hours/week will cover 25% of my first year student budget (that the U of MN prepares) and 33% of my second year budget. By "cover" I included my wage, health care coverage savings (they'll pay for 1/2 my health insurance), and tuition benefits. I was shocked when I saw this, and still am not sure if I believe this. Has anybody else had a research assistantship in med school, and did your numbers turn out this way? My department (pharm) pays very well (apparently they adjusted their pay scale so they wouldn't loose so many people to industry) - usually a bit above $20/hour.

Thanks,
Adcadet

Members don't see this ad.

my roommate in medical school had a full tuition waiver = 200/mo stipend for his 10 hours per week. that program has long since been replaced with something that pays a lot less.