Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Working during medical school....

Discussion in 'Medical Students - MD' started by ndi_amaka, Apr 5, 2004.

1. ndi_amaka

ndi_amaka Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I plan to get a job during medical school...obviously nothing too taxing or time consuming. Anybody have any ideas?? I went on the internet and they seem to have tons of jobs for nursing and pharmacy students but nothing for medical students.

I heard that alot of students work at doctors offices taking patient histories and a few work as CPR trainers. where would one find these kinds of job opportunities?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. punjabiMD

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I would also suggest trying to teach for Kaplan or Princeton Review. Getting a job shouldn't be that difficult considering that you are already in medical school. The pay is great, hours short, and if you tutor the pay is even better and you get to work it into your crazy schedule!

4. nutmegs

nutmegs ASA Member
    7+ Year Member

I'm a personal assistant for a single-mother physician with a small private practice. She has more money than time and I help her organize things, file, copy, rearrange her house, hook up surround sound, hang pictures & shelfs, just do things she needs done. Really flexible, good pay, highly recommended if you can find someone. Lots of times people look for someone reliable a few days a week to cook, clean, or shop for an elderly person. Found mine on www.craigslist.com

5. madtowngirl

madtowngirl Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I coach gymnastics a few nights a week. I really like staying active, plus it gets me away from being a med student for a few hours a week. I'd just try to find something that you know will be a little fun for you, then you get extra spending money and a fun study break in one!

6. IlianaSedai

IlianaSedai Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

It depends on how much time you want to devote to working. Most people I know who work, do a few hours here, a few hours there. If you want a regularly scheduled, part-time job (e.g. 8-hour shift work, for example) it's much tougher to do, but a lot of students work FLEXIBLE things that pay by the hour. That's doable. I usually max out after about 6 hours/week, and if I were to do more than 10 hours/week things would be a bit tight, but 5-10 almost feels as if I weren't working at all.

Tutoring is a good way to get flexible hours. More opportunities present themselves during second year and afterward -- here, they pay us hourly to tutor other med students in classes below us.

Working for your medical school or the university (if there is one) is always a sure way to get flexible hours, although the pay won't be great -- it helps a lot to find jobs designed for students. Things like random lab work, office work, etc. Some research projects or labs may have a little money set aside to pay a student-- you might kill two birds with one stone and get some research experience out of that too.

7. punjabiMD

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    hey I also just realized that at my school, a lot of students work at the activities building and at the library (usually night hours of course). These jobs are great because, at least here, there's no work to do so you can just sit at your table and study/read.

I don't know if you have a Wegmans in your area, but I have heard that they are really great/helpful in scheduling part-time hours that fit your lifestyle. I'm sure there are a few places where you live that do this.

8. Plastix.MD

Plastix.MD Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

Depending on your medical school some medical schools offer note taking services. Georgetown pays around $90 per hour of lectures transcribed. Its a great way to study and get paid.

Kaplan and Princeton are also great alternatives as stated earlier. They pay in the range of $25 per hour (ie, assuming you are going to teach the MCAT). I would recommend applying before you go to medical school (ie, summertime) and get the training hours done, which are 5 days of 4 hours of training each day, and they only pay you $8 per hour. After the training you can relocate to any teaching center in the US.

I know of others that did babysitting and stuff. Don't know how much that paid. I would find it annoying because I need peace and quiet when I study, thus trying to watch some kids in attempting to study would be fruitless for me.

More demanding jobs that I've heard of have included bartending, waitressing, and sales. Too much time and too much energy for the amount of pay, in my opinion.

9. funkless

funkless Apatheist, Anestheologist
    10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I tended bar for a long, long time and can tell you that it's nothing you want to do in medical school.

--Funkless