Working during school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

allendo

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Would it be feasable to wait tables one weekend night per week in med school?

Members don't see this ad.

allendo said:
That probably depends on what field/specialty you are interested in. :smuggrin:

Please, if you haven't matriculated (class of 2009), don't answer peoples' questions about what happens once you are in medical school...it's fine to conjecture, but really, you just need to experience it to some degree before dispensing advice. Sorry to b*&ch...just a pet peeve of mine...

Grades are the very last thing to be considered for most residencies, and even if they actually DID matter, a person could probably get away with working one night a week.

The only problem I would see with that is that your free time is so rare and so precious...you might really need the time off on the weekends. Try it, see how it works for you. Several people in my class worked while in school. It is tough, but I would think one night a week would be do-able, as long as you could get your shift covered when you have a Monday test.

Best of luck to you.

Members don't see this ad :)
allendo said:

Of course it's possible... depends on what kind of person you are. I found working on the weekends helped focus the rest of my time during the week as I knew I couldn't count on studying as much on the weekends. There were times, however, that it was incredibly, even scarily inconvenient and I didn't know how I was going to get everything done. Still, here I am in my fourth year, so I guess I must've gotten it done anyway... Good luck whatever your employment choice.

There are obvious tradeoffs. I worked >12 hours per week during the first 2 years of med school. It sucked. I liked not having to worry as much about cash for the family, but easily gave up 5% across the board on grades (if that matters to you)...it depends on what the job is, how flexible it is, how good you are at it, and how organized you are (oh, and how well it pays!). There were a couple of my classmates who worked evening shifts during the week, but they struggled academically. The administration will frown on it, of course...

Your mileage may vary...

sophiejane said:
Please, if you haven't matriculated (class of 2009), don't answer peoples' questions about what happens once you are in medical school...it's fine to conjecture, but really, you just need to experience it to some degree before dispensing advice. Sorry to b*&ch...just a pet peeve of mine...
Whatever...
1) who asked you?
2) You act like I do it all the time
3) My response was more or less a joke. Non-serious...I guess you don't understand that.

dork

allendo said:

why?

get loans

allendo said:

yes, most certainly

OSUdoc08 said:
why?

get loans

oh yeah, and pay back more than what you borrowed initially. Unlike you OSUDIC, some people CAN work and go to school. You know its only a wait staff job, not at all like saving lives as a paramedic. yeeeehaawwwww....wooohooo!!

DrFeelgoodDO said:
oh yeah, and pay back more than what you borrowed initially. Unlike you OSUDIC, some people CAN work and go to school. You know its only a wait staff job, not at all like saving lives as a paramedic. yeeeehaawwwww....wooohooo!!

Maybe I’m the only one, but one of the things that I have really been looking forward to about med school is focusing only on med school. I’ve worked full time as an EMT while finishing my undergrad and I’m excited about having so much time to devote to school

--matt

I think that also depends on what school you go to... some schools offer block exams once every 6 weeks (for an entire week) which should give some time to play or work. Other schools have tests every Monday which would probably black out that night you want to work. If working is important, I'd check with the school to see how their testing schedule is and you can decide from there