Working during the year before med school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jp24

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I would appreciate any suggestions regarding the following:

I will be out of the country until November. When I return I'll be looking for a job, preferably in research, from November until med school starts in the fall. How can I go about finding a job that will allow me time off for interviews? I've applied to programs all over the country and hope to have several interviews.

BTW, I need to stay in NY in order to keep my residency. Any ideas about where I might find such an opportunity in NY? Or within commuting distance?

Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

Get a job as a lab tech in a lab at the med school that you're planning on attending. That's what I did, and it worked great. Additionally, supervisors in academia are generally more understanding than at a corporate entity when it comes to missing work for academic reasons.

Just realize that due to the economy, you may not find a position immediately when you apply. Also, many PIs are less than enthusiastic about hiring a tech for less than two years (because of the time it takes to train them). Coming in and telling them you'll be working for less than a year and wanting days off for interviews might be less than sympathetic, especially if they've got their pick of a couple of other pre-meds with two years. So, make sure you cast a wide net.

Anka

Or just take a break from things medically related and get a job that pays well. In the yr off, I have worked as a general contractor (home remodelling) and part time buying/selling antique timepieces (a hobby of mine).

Be creative and find something you enjoy rather than trying to pad your resume with more things sience/medical.