Working during undergrad

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pepocho

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
blank

Last edited:
I worked during most of college. I probably averaged ~20 hours per week during the school year and well over full time during the summer. My grades did certainly suffer at times but I think holding down a regular job is a good experience to have. It taught me to be reliable, professional and thrifty!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Worked two paid jobs throughout school (~20hrs/week) from my second year until graduation and did a few unpaid/leadership/volunteer stuff in between with 19 units/qtr. Would not recommend it to anyone who likes sleep :laugh:

i thought this thread was about working out :p

Just curious, how many you guys are working or worked during college? I used to work as a cashier 30 + hours. But I noticed I had no shadowing hours or volunteer hours so I dropped that job right before starting my junior year. Now I am an SI leader. Much more flexible.

Had a job at In-n-Out since I was 15 and half until my freshman year and worked 30+ hrs week, left and went to Starbucks for 4 years where I worked 20+ but always started work at 4am :thumbdown: . Now working at the lab in our med school :thumbup:.

I didn't really start shadowing or volunteering until this year because of working a lot too, but it was a blessing in disguise in some ways!

I'm working 40 hours a week :( sometimes even more. I'm taking over full time 15 credits with 2 science classes

I worked ~20 hours a week, but it was mostly from a paid research assistant job and the rest came from tutoring which was pretty good in the dollars-to-hours ratio department :thumbup: Oh, and I worked in a froyo shop during nights the summer after freshman year. So much free froyo..! :p