working environment

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SST03

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there,

Could anyone please enlight the difference between a PA's role as opposed to a MD. The reason I am asking this is because in the research institution I work there is a PA, who believes and does anyting a MD could do in terms of patient care.

Members don't see this ad.

This isn't one of those "set up" questions is it?

All I can say is that any "midlevel provider" who thinks they can do what an MD does or knows what an MD knows is a very dangerous person. Most "midlevel providers" understand this and readily accept this. Most physicians I know respect and appreciate a quality "midlevel provider" who knows his or her place. The annoying ones are the frustrated types who wish they were docs, or worse, think they are docs. They are kind of like chiropractors. There is just no convincing them otherwise.

Minor rant coming here...

I just love the term "midlevel provider" and "healthcare provider" and "consumer" and "beneficiary". WTF? Whatever happened to physicians and patients? Just something I was thinking about today...

By the way, I guess I'll answer your question. A PA goes to two years of PA school and learns the basics of anatomy, physiology, biochem, pathology and pharmacology as well as Medicine, Surgery, OBGYN and related areas to each. Many work in in Family Medicine clinics or EDs and some work for surgeons in various capacities. Physicians (as you may very well know) go to four years of medical school and then at least three years of residency in their area of expertise. They are the ones who are ultimiately responsible for the well being of the patient in most clinical settings where PAs or FNPs are involved. Most "midlevel providers" :D are very good at taking care of routine and some emergent conditions that are encountered in the ED and/or the clinic type setting. They don't however have the necessary training and depth of knowledge to practice safely in these settings independantly.

I've worked with several PAs. Most have a very sound clinical education in their particular area. I've been very impressed by CT Surgery PAs and Burn Surgery PAs. They have an exceptional level of knowledge in their field, but unlike MDs they don't have a very strong basic science knowledge or much clinical knowledge outside of their field of practice.