Working for a school you’re applying to

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hiellen

UGA CVM c/o 2024!
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I’m curious about everyone’s opinion on this.
I’m a RVT, didn’t get in this cycle. Do you think it would be frowned upon to work at a school you’re trying to get accepted to? There are some really interesting positions at my IS’ hospital, but I don’t want to apply for it if it would look poor on my application for next cycle. I guess my thought process is like I’m trying to weasel my way in or something when it’s also that the positions are really interesting and what I would pursue if I wasn’t ever able to get into school. Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

No. If anything, working somewhere you're applying helps you to get to know the clinicians there. It's never a bad thing - you get to know the program better.

Reactions: 3 users
One of our teaching hospital CVTs applied this year to our school. I haven't heard if she was accepted or not, but it wasn't frowned upon.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
One of our teaching hospital CVTs applied this year to our school. I haven't heard if she was accepted or not, but it wasn't frowned upon.
If you find out, I’d love to know! I have heard from a few people that say that they knew of techs in teaching hospitals that tried multiple times to get in and were wondering if it maybe had to do with them not wanting to lose good techs. Obviously that’s just hearsay and could have nothing to do with them not getting admitted :shrug:

were wondering if it maybe had to do with them not wanting to lose good techs.

To be honest, I don't think this would be a thing at any school. There are 29 other state side schools to choose from so if the tech wanted to become a doctor, they would make it happen, regardless of where they go.

Reactions: 2 users