1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

working for princeton review?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by sar520, Dec 10, 2001.

1. sar520

sar520 Member
    7+ Year Member

has anyone ever worked for kaplan or the princeton review, etc? did you enjoy it?

just wondering. i need money.

-s

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. alice

alice Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

WORK FOR KAPLAN!!! I have had a great experience working for them. Hours are flexible, other teachers are nice, students are enthusiastic, and best of all: the money is pretty nice. I get $100 for everyone I recruit, so tell them I sent ya! ;)

4. rondo

rondo Member
    7+ Year Member

hey sarah,

i used to teach for kaplan. it was pretty fun but it totally depends on which office you work from. i worked out of two different places and one location totally treated their teachers like crap because they could get away with it and get new ones. it's good money though!

5. Original

Original Ogori-Magongo Warrior
    7+ Year Member

Yes I teach physics and GChem for PR. I took the MCAT in my sophomore year and was lucky to ace the PS section despite buming the others and I've taught PS for PR ever since. It's a good experience and the money is great!!! The first time you teach, you'll have to prep tonnes of hours and might get very little sleep. However 2nd time around is a breeze: More money, very little prep time required cause you're now an expert, and it's usually more fun cause you can infuse more of your personality into the lectures. Go for it! You'll be a great teacher :)

6. Firebird

Firebird 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

Do they have ACT classes? I got a 31, would I be able to work for them, assuming they do give ACT classes?

7. Optimistic

Optimistic Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Kaplan gives ACT classes.

8. praying mantis

praying mantis Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

I teach SAT prep for TRP and I will begin teaching MCAT verbal prep for them in January. They seem like a really great company and it's a great way to earn some extra cash! I also like the whole "beat the exam" approach. It worked for me!

9. praying mantis

10+ Year Member

By the way, how much do you guys make? As a new instructor, I will make $21 for MCAT group classes for TPR. Is Kaplan similar?

10. Optimistic

Optimistic Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Everybody is talking about making good money here . Do you guys know or care if you are good teachers according to students you teach. No offense intended. I took kaplan classes and all my teachers were younger than me(I am 22) , with no experience of teaching, they were smart but they just did nt know how to teach. To me it seemed like most of the time the teachers and students are at totally different wavelengths at these centers.
    I have a friend who scored 14 on PS and was offered to teach at kaplan. He declined the offer because he also doesnt think that these teacher(most not all)do a good job teaching and therefore declined the offer ,I thought that was pretty thoughtful of him .

11. sar520

sar520 Member
    7+ Year Member

to optimistic -

i actually really like teaching (i've been t.a.ing classes for a while and i am used to holding sessions and such). i also happen to be broke :) what did you find to be bad about your previous kaplan teachers - so that i can try to be different :) ? seriously, any advice would be great!

-s

12. gobears

gobears Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

13. praying mantis

10+ Year Member

I teach for TPR b/c I really love teaching. (My current full time job is as a high school science teacher). I also think that TPR trains their teachers very well. For SAT prep, we have 40+ hours of training and we have to teach back all the material to "master teachers". If you can't do it well, you are not hired.

14. alice

alice Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

definitely saw the $100 in my bank account...
    and i make $20/hour.

Are you sure you're teaching at kaplan? Maybe it varies regionally... ;)

15. aqua

aqua Member
    7+ Year Member

Hey alice--I'm really interested in teaching for Kaplan in baltimore area , and i wondered how you get in touch with them? i tried the online app but i never heard from them. also--i think you mentioned you went to yale? when did you graduate?

16. KyGrlDr2B

7+ Year Member

Firebird: TPR has ACT classes in Charleston. I know someone who teaches there.

17. brandonite

Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

Here's a question for all of you people who have taught through Kaplan/TPR before. There has never been an MCAT class taught before in my city - there has never been an instructor interested, or the demand for it. This year, my premed advisor has been trying to get one going, and he's asked me to teach it. There are about 8 or 9 people interested in taking it.

Would it be an advantage to go through Kaplan or TPR? As things stand right now, I can have then buy a Kaplan/TPR book, and I can teach them on my own, and pocket all of the money. I guess my question is this: how much help do they really provide for the big cut of the $$ they are taking?