Ashlee

10+ Year Member
Mar 20, 2009
Status
Pre-Veterinary
I have an opportunity to work at a veterinary school in the dept. of infectious diseases, doing laboratory work, but I will be working for someone with a PhD instead of a DVM.

Would this be considered vet experience in the field of research?

I know I'm not technically working for a veterinarian, but it is very much something that someone with a DVM would be qualified to oversee...

Regardless of who I am working for, it seems as if it would be valuable experience. It's something I would really like to learn about.

But how would vet school see it?

david594

The-OSU CVM c/o 2013
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 20, 2007
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Most schools would see that as a positive thing.

twelvetigers

stabby cat
10+ Year Member
Mar 12, 2008
TTown
Status
Veterinarian
Work under a PhD can be considered veterinary experience if the research is relevant... and I'd imagine it is. Sounds like a great opportunity!

OP
A

Ashlee

10+ Year Member
Mar 20, 2009
Status
Pre-Veterinary
Yayyy! Thank you so much!

I'm really excited about it :)

ckgilabert

CSU PVM c/o 2014!!!!
10+ Year Member
Mar 19, 2007
Fort Collins, Co
Status
Pre-Veterinary
this is my opinion...i'd say that working with a PhD is animal experience, and working with a DVM is vet experience. I've had MANY animal classes where we castrated, docked tails, vaccinated, etc.....but the teacher was a PhD....so i said animal experience.

Trilt

puppy snuggler extraordinaire
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Feb 10, 2008
NC
Status
Veterinarian
I think this would depend on your school. I know my in-state, NCSU, specifically states:

A minimum of 400 hours of clinical, medical, agribusiness, health science or medical related scientific research experience is required by the time of application. -snip- The work can be either paid or voluntary and must be completed under the supervision of a veterinarian (or PhD scientist if scientific research). Applicants will be evaluated on duration, level of duties, and diversity of the experiences.

twelvetigers

stabby cat
10+ Year Member
Mar 12, 2008
TTown
Status
Veterinarian
I did tick research. It was under a vet/PhD (professor) but it had nothing to do with animals per se... just ticks. But I'm certainly putting that under vet experience, and would still even if it were only with a PhD person supervising it. I think it should count! Just my $0.02.