1. Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

working full time and studying

Discussion in 'MCAT Discussions' started by Gatsby14777, Jul 26, 2006.

1. Gatsby14777

Gatsby14777 Member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Does anyone else need to vent about working full time and studying. I took the two weeks before the exam off to really be able to do lots of full lengths, and I try to do about 5 hrs or so when I come home at night....but I'm worried I'm going to start fading before my "vacation starts".
    UGH!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. H and D

H and D Member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    As I was driving to work this morning I was just thinking about how difficult it is to be working full time and studying for the MCAT. I am trying to stay on track with EK's 10 week schedule and I can but I do not have any additional time for studying topics that I am struggling with. I know I need to review Newtonian Motion (I went over it 6 weeks ago) but still have not found the time to go back and review it. Needless to say I am not really surprised by the 9s I get in physical science.
    Sigh, done complaining.

4. MJB

MJB Senior Member
    Physician Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    It sucks...I would love to have more time study, and more importantly, not study when I'm already tired.

Oh well, bills have to be paid.

My job just motivates me more to study though....

5. you know i just finished a grad program in molecular, went in right out of undergrad. I also think about this, but have to say that i dont thing its night and day differant from being a full time student. I think its the other responsibilities that most people who have jobs have, like big bills, house, kids, sig others. Luckely i dont really have any of that yet, and even though i work full time and do get tierd at times when im studying, it was similar from when i was in school......class all day, dinner then study at night

but i would rather have nothing to do but study
    and if your job blows ass (as does mine), not really its just not for me i have realized, its a bit more motivation

6. jmed6182

jmed6182 Junior Member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I gotta say...it really sucks working full time and studying for this test. It gets really rough by thursday, and I can definitely be a real butthead at work sometimes. Although, being at work is really a constant reminder that I need to do well on this test. I'm just really trying to push myself every day even though sometimes I dont want to do crap, however now that I am done with content reveiw, I kind of think the practice tests are fun.....I kind of look at it as a personal challenge...so that usually helps....good luck all

7. Gatsby14777

Gatsby14777 Member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Yeah I am with you guys as work being a motivator to do well on this exam!

8. GuzzyRon

GuzzyRon Son of the Son of Man
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Same here. Mad that I have to work full time and go to school full time :mad: Studying for this beast makes it even worse. I can't get to study for more than 6 hours a day. Although I would say only 3 - 4 of those hours are really productive. Anyway, I work in the hospital and seeing all these young doctors around who are 5 - 10 years younger than me provide the motivation to study.

9. sentrosi

sentrosi INTARWEB USER
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    The summer I took the MCAT, I worked 40-50 hours in lab a week and studied. I didn't really feel the need to vent.

10. pufferfish

pufferfish Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

...but you feel the need to post here.

11. TalulaTalula

TalulaTalula "sleep when you are dead"
    5+ Year Member

working full time does suck. my work hours fluctuate, from 40 to 90hrs per week. But I try to maintain a study schedule and study whenever I can. During my lunch break, I usually listen to Audio Osmosis while I walk for about an hour. (It's a good stress release from work as well as from the imminent MCAT). I've thought about quitting my job so I could study full time. However, I know how I like to study under pressure and that I need the money. So I force myself to balance studying with work and whatever life that still exists outside of those two. I guess my hellish work schedule is practice for the real deal later on.

12. sentrosi

sentrosi INTARWEB USER
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Posting is not necessarily venting. I think not spending 100% of your time studying is a good thing.

13. Skillbot

Skillbot Junior Member
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    What works for some does not work for all.