Choklatcow

10+ Year Member
Apr 3, 2008
NY
Status
  1. Non-Student
Who of you are planning to work while getting your degree? Part or full time?

Are you planning to work in an academic capacity like a teaching assistant/research assistant on campus? Or something outside of a university job?

I potentially have the option to stay on part-time where I currently work full-time, which I'm not too keen on but which I wouldn't have to fight for. On the other hand I would like to vy for a TA/RA position come fall (@Columbia), with the risk of not getting a position at all, but with greater rewards.

Do these positions mostly go to doctoral students? What is the strategy, zero in on a professor/course, making the connection, and hoping you get it?

uralva

10+ Year Member
Mar 6, 2008
Status
  1. Other Health Professions Student
I called my contact in the EPI dept at Emory the other day about possibly working on a grant for one of the professors since I know they have to fund their salary that way and I know sometimes they build in admin/student work in the budget.

I can't speak for other programs but she told me that at Rollins all those positions go through work study at $11/hr and first go to people who qualify for work-study first - sometimes there are "leftover" positions. I do not qualify due to my husband's income and the rate is very low compared to my current consulting rate. However I usually see clients during the day when I'll be taking class so I'm going to have to compromise somewhere.

I will try to keep some clients I guess or be creative about finding other work. I'd prefer it be related to the field so I can get some experience even outside the practicum.

I do want to work some so I can keep my interest/student loans from accumulating too much.

TA positions are usually awarded in May I think - usually to PhD candidates first, not sure. I would definitely contact someone now to see what the process is there. It can't hurt you and sometimes it's as easy as asking.

Choklatcow

10+ Year Member
Apr 3, 2008
NY
Status
  1. Non-Student
Thanks uralva. Yes I am concerned about my loans accumulating too much as well, considering I probably won't get anymore aid than that.

For all I know I may qualify for work-study though, since I don't have THAT great of an income, but an income (right now) nonetheless.

I found a professor in my department that focuses her research on some things I'm interested in, and I figure I might send the same email to a few others with similar interests.

Those doctoral students get everything!! All the financial aid and then the TA jobs too?! :hardy:

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.
About the Ads