Choklatcow

10+ Year Member
Apr 3, 2008
NY
Status
Non-Student
Who of you are planning to work while getting your degree? Part or full time?

Are you planning to work in an academic capacity like a teaching assistant/research assistant on campus? Or something outside of a university job?

I potentially have the option to stay on part-time where I currently work full-time, which I'm not too keen on but which I wouldn't have to fight for. On the other hand I would like to vy for a TA/RA position come fall (@Columbia), with the risk of not getting a position at all, but with greater rewards.

Do these positions mostly go to doctoral students? What is the strategy, zero in on a professor/course, making the connection, and hoping you get it?

uralva

10+ Year Member
Mar 6, 2008
Status
Other Health Professions Student
I called my contact in the EPI dept at Emory the other day about possibly working on a grant for one of the professors since I know they have to fund their salary that way and I know sometimes they build in admin/student work in the budget.

I can't speak for other programs but she told me that at Rollins all those positions go through work study at $11/hr and first go to people who qualify for work-study first - sometimes there are "leftover" positions. I do not qualify due to my husband's income and the rate is very low compared to my current consulting rate. However I usually see clients during the day when I'll be taking class so I'm going to have to compromise somewhere.

I will try to keep some clients I guess or be creative about finding other work. I'd prefer it be related to the field so I can get some experience even outside the practicum.

I do want to work some so I can keep my interest/student loans from accumulating too much.

TA positions are usually awarded in May I think - usually to PhD candidates first, not sure. I would definitely contact someone now to see what the process is there. It can't hurt you and sometimes it's as easy as asking.

OP
C

Choklatcow

10+ Year Member
Apr 3, 2008
NY
Status
Non-Student
Thanks uralva. Yes I am concerned about my loans accumulating too much as well, considering I probably won't get anymore aid than that.

For all I know I may qualify for work-study though, since I don't have THAT great of an income, but an income (right now) nonetheless.

I found a professor in my department that focuses her research on some things I'm interested in, and I figure I might send the same email to a few others with similar interests.

Those doctoral students get everything!! All the financial aid and then the TA jobs too?! :hardy: