1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice

Working hard to obtain no free time in the future?

Discussion in 'Topics in Healthcare' started by Slide, Dec 6, 2005.

1. Slide

Slide Finally, no more "training"
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Next semester, I'm taking the MCATs, and the following summer I'm going to be applying. I plan on still taking the MCAT, but right now I'm running thoughts through my head of whether I still want to go to med school or not. I'm surrounded by friends who are in business who will be having good salaries after they graduate and are able to have a good amount of free time during the school year (going out on Thursday nights, having a week now and then with little or no homework), and I guess their attitude is starting to affect me. Even though these guys may be working up to 60-80 hours a week, it seems that they'll be making a good bit of money in the meantime.

My dad is going to retire after I graduate college, so that means I'll have to loan a lot of money, try to go for a Ph.D. program, or somehow get financial aid. However, that's not too big of a deal if I successfully become an MD. Plus, I'm already busting my ass right now, and I'm starting to get burned out (I'm a jr). So, I guess the point is that, during med school, do the students actually get to enjoy free time? I'm used to studying a lot each night during the week, but I'm interested in how med students spend their free time, if any, and how often these opportunities arise. There are a few good reasons (to me) that I would want to have some free time in med school.

Any thoughts?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. DropkickMurphy

DropkickMurphy Membership Revoked
    Removed

Other Health Professions Student
    Seeing as most of us in the premed forum are premeds, you would be better served asking this in the Allopathic forum. Perhaps one of the mods will be kind enough to move it for you.

4. jbrice1639

jbrice1639 Cub Fan, Bud Man
    5+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student
    those business students that seem to be enjoying life now will be stuck in a cubicle with a crappy salary for the rest of their natural lives. speaking as someone who has worked hard to get OUT of the business world, i can safely say that all those business kids will get theirs in the end, and you will be happier in medicine if it's something you really want to do...and you can still do well as a pre-med/med student and go out when you want to...

5. wildcatbio06

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    From what I have seen and been told I think it all depends on the school. Some schools will have you out of class by noon and others keep you in lecture from eight to five. After that, I have no clue but again from what I hear endentured servants aren't treated that poorly.

6. Skeptrix

Skeptrix should be studying ..
    7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    if you truly want to make a change or at least try to in a patient, or better yet, another human being just like you, the hard work you are doing now will pay off. i think the feeling and experience of saving a life/lives is a feeling, maybe an opportunity, that one cannot realize unless he/she is truly a Doctor.

but if money and recognition is all that you wanna do in order to be an M.D., then, maybe medschool might not be the right choice for you. just my 2 cents :)

7. Law2Doc

Law2Doc 5K+ Member
    Physician Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Just bear in mind that those schools that have you out of class by noon expect you to know the same quantity of material - it's all the same boards at the end. Thus you really need to spend the time differential studying. The out by noon schedule gives you more flexibility, but not really more time. And in most cases no matter whether you have classes part of the day or all of the day, you don't manditorilly need to attend -- if you can master the material on your own, so be it. But the bottom line is that in med school you will be expected to learn a greater volume of material than anything you have attempted in college. Thus for many, you will have no huge blocks of free time if you plan to do well. For others, especially those blessed with unusually quick and powerful memories, there will be a bit more free time. But it usually takes an exam or two before you know you are such a person. Don't expect to be able to go out 3+ nights a week as you did in college. And unlike college, even when you do go out, you need to be in a condition to hit the books the next morning. Either way, you will spend many a sunny weekend in the library. Probably most of them. And it gets a lot worse in 3d year and then residency, during which you will have no free time. So if free time is a priority, then medicine might not be the right career choice.

8. little_late_MD

little_late_MD Ready To Jump
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    LOL, except for that business student that is signing your paychecks every two weeks.

9. USCguy

USCguy Earnest Internist
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    hey man, I feel the same way. I'm a junior and I feel burned out also. It seems like I averaged 2 exams per week all semester, plus all the reading and personal time studying you have to do to pull A's in upper level science courses. Everytime I called home this semester and my parents or my brother asked me what I was doing, it was always studying for a test/doing homework. They all think I have no life (which is partly true, unless you count studying) cause I spent thursday nights studying for my friday exams. Studying doesn't really bother me, but when everyone else is having a good time, can't help but think the grass is greener...

10. Slide

Slide Finally, no more "training"
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I'm glad there's been some response in this thread.

As a junior, I'm only going out once a week, maybe twice if I'm lucky, so the deal about not going out 3+ nights a week isn't a big deal. I study most of my time right now anyway (a lot of my classmates are uber-competitive), so I'm confident I can handle the work load. My only concern was that I didn't want to get so caught up in studying I'd lose perspective on the bigger things in life. I admit, I love partying and drinking and chasing women, but I also want to feel like I'm doing something for society and making a change somehow. I worked as computer programmer and research aide freshman year, and I felt no gratification doing it.

11. run4boston

run4boston formerly Run
    7+ Year Member

it's true. i just don't see how the prestige of being a doctor would be enough to carry someone through all the stress of just training to be a doctor let alone practicing medicine. be smart. lots of better ways of making cash.

12. LanceFrench

LanceFrench Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Applying is the normal time to be completely burned out. Your comments sound perfectly normal to me and from my peers. Your friends, with futures "working up to 60-80 hours a week, it seems that they'll be making a good bit of money in the meantime," sounds lame. If you want to work with people to directly benefit their lives, applied health care is it. THat means psychologist, nurse, emt ($6/hr), etc. Working in a windowless laboratory for your career cranking out publications is fine, but decide for yourself what you want to do.

"Somehow get financial aid," don't be a crybaby. We all take out large loans.

"However, that's not too big of a deal if I successfully become an MD," duh.

"During med school, do the students actually get to enjoy free time?" Check out the medical student blogs thru this website, I think you may find them inspiring.

Decide what you want to do. What does your heart tell you? Stay strong.

13. Gatewayhoward

Gatewayhoward Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    **** cash, I can make good ****ing money in real estate I know how. Enough that I can probably retire from being a paramedic in under twenty years. I'm sick of seeing people giving up what they want to do for that bigger ****ing check. All I see in my career is medics bridge to nursing, for the ONE reason that they get paid more. If I go through med school, it would be a gigantic inconvenience in my life but I would trade being a sports or music celebrity to become a doctor. This is a career that becomes you. It takes almost obsessive dedication to accomplish. I don't care about the pay. It's all taxed as earned income anyway.

14. OSUdoc08

OSUdoc08 Membership Revoked
    Removed

Medical Student
    1. Watch sports
    2. Drink beer
    3. Go out to the bar or club
    4. Go to sporting events

(Free time when? Every night that you don't have an exam the next day, which is typically 6/7 days a week.)