Working in a psych-ward this summer. What to expect?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Simmy

MD Stud.
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So for my first summer after becoming a MD-student Im working at a psychiatry-ward in my home town. We have to have at least one month of health-care practice every year while on summer break in our uni (out of 3 months, so its not that bad).

I have no experience with pscyh. whatsoever from before. I was recomended applying from my dad who is a MD and worked in a psych-ward during his summers. But all he has told me is that its pretty laid back, you get good experience and you dont have to wipe old peoples butts (lol) as some of my classmates are going to :laugh:

So what can I expect? Im working in a department where they take in "acute cases", which I guess is mostly drug-addicts/psychosis diagnoses from what I was told on the intervju. Can someone please give me some spesific details about this subject/diagnose. And anyone with experience with working at a place like this tell something about what they thought about the experience?

Greatfull for all feedback :)

(This is in Norway btw. Not in the US)

Members don't see this ad.

So for my first summer after becoming a MD-student Im working at a psychiatry-ward in my home town. We have to have at least one month of health-care practice every year while on summer break in our uni (out of 3 months, so its not that bad).

I have no experience with pscyh. whatsoever from before. I was recomended applying from my dad who is a MD and worked in a psych-ward during his summers. But all he has told me is that its pretty laid back, you get good experience and you dont have to wipe old peoples butts (lol) as some of my classmates are going to :laugh:

So what can I expect? Im working in a department where they take in "acute cases", which I guess is mostly drug-addicts/psychosis diagnoses from what I was told on the intervju. Can someone please give me some spesific details about this subject/diagnose. And anyone with experience with working at a place like this tell something about what they thought about the experience?

Greatfull for all feedback :)

(This is in Norway btw. Not in the US)

You'll get an opportunity, I imagine, to talk with patients about why they're there--what they did/are thinking/experiencing. I don't know if they do things quite the same in Norway, but I'm guessing you'll be in a nursing asst/aide role, so ensuring safety re: agitation, suicidality is paramount.

But all he has told me is that its pretty laid back, you get good experience and you dont have to wipe old peoples butts (lol) as some of my classmates are going to :laugh:

No, but you might have to clean up someone after they just ate their own feces and puked all over the place. Not trying to scare you off or anything...

Members don't see this ad :)
No, but you might have to clean up someone after they just ate their own feces and puked all over the place. Not trying to scare you off or anything...

Yeah Im aware of that, Im not that disgusted by doing stuff like that. I just want to do something that I know I will get more use for later than cleaning and feeding patients all day for a month :) I think I will get alot better look into the "consult" and patient interaction part where I am going to work than at a retierment home :)

It really depends on the place. I've only worked in one youth psych ward for the summer and it was a great place (barring the semi-frequent tantrums and the occasional kid who threw **** or spat constantly and everywhere). However, I have heard that some adult wards are a lot more depressing. The staff may care less because they're not kids, the patients are more likely to be there long-term (the goal is to get kids home, but adults may be more chronic) and the illnesses, specifically schizophrenia with it's older onset, will be different. The good news it that you have a chance to do a lot of good. Try to interact with the patients socially and not to take a dominant role unless you really have to. Be their equal as much as possible and laugh at the crazy things that happen. You'll have some good stories after this.