Working in Europe with US MD?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sangria

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm about to start medical school in the US. Is it possible to work in Western Europe with an American MD after residency? (Sorry if this has been asked before, I did look through some threads on this page)
What would be the obstacles for working in Europe?

Members don't see this ad.

I've heard a few people talk about that here in Portugal, and supposedly an american medical degree does not grant immediate equivalence in Europe (the same goes for an european degree in the US). I think applicants need to take an exam (though I don't exactly know what kind) in order to be authorized to practice. They also need to be fluent in the language of the chosen country. There must be some variations from country to country, but I assume the general rules are mostly the same, at least inside the EU.
Generally, embassies and consulates can give you this sort of information. You could also try to contact the national medical organization or the specialty college of the country you're interested in.