Working in finance during gap years?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

numbersloth

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a return offer to a bulge bracket financial institution (in research, not IB). Because of the way I laid out my coursework, I knew I was taking two gap years when I started pre-med. I'd really like to make some money before med school to avoid as much debt as possible and I'm also genuinely interested in the business side of medicine and think learning more about finance/business could help me out (maybe MD/MBA?). However, most of my ECs (and the focus of what my app would be) are focused on US public health and underserved communities -- non-clinical volunteering is at a homeless shelter, clinical volunteering is through a mobile health van in underserved areas, lots of shadowing in the emergency department and in underserved areas). I'm afraid that I won't be able to paint a "picture" in my app and look unfocused or not-genuine. Any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think anyone will care. What's the alternative if you don't take this job?

I don't think anyone will care. What's the alternative if you don't take this job?

Probably either get an MPH or apply to healthcare start-up analyst/data type jobs.

Members don't see this ad :)
Probably either get an MPH or apply to healthcare start-up analyst/data type jobs.
I am uncertain if you aware of this, but most MPH's are two years (I am assuming you have no professional work experience). They're also very costly (again, I am assuming you're at a university that doesn't have a linkage program with discounted tuition). I would take the job and continue your volunteering in your free time.

I am uncertain if you aware of this, but most MPH's are two years (I am assuming you have no professional work experience). They're also very costly (again, I am assuming you're at a university that doesn't have a linkage program with discounted tuition). I would take the job and continue your volunteering in your free time.
That's my plan, I'm just worried about how medical schools will view a finance job? I don't want to seem like I'm just bouncing around in search of money.

That's my plan, I'm just worried about how medical schools will view a finance job? I don't want to seem like I'm just bouncing around in search of money.
I doubt anyone is going to punish you for wanting to pay off your loans/save money for medical school. Like I said, continue to volunteer in your free time if you're really that concerned. I'll let other posters chime in.

Any other thoughts?
Currently working at an M7 business school. I've noticed that even top B-Schools are starting to shy away from bringing in finance heavy classes. The inference here might be that if B-schools are tired of finance folks, I'd bet med schools aren't welcoming them w/ open arms. That said, it sounds like you wouldn't be front office, so maybe the stigma wouldn't apply.

Either way, I'd think that sticking closer to healthcare for your gap years would allow you to craft a better story in your application. If you're set on IB, maybe try a place like Leerink?