working in lab

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tinkerbell10

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it okay to start volunteering in the lab during freshman year. And when is it good to get some research under your belt.

Members don't see this ad.

you can never start too early. But i would wait a semester to make sure you can manage everything. Also dont just do labwork/research because you thinkg it will help you get in..there are better things to do with your time. like clinical stuff. spend time searching around for possibles, some profs can be slave drivers. try talking to your medical office if you have one or your advisor for help..

Is it okay to start volunteering in the lab during freshman year. And when is it good to get some research under your belt.
I would think your only obstacle would be to find a professor that wanted to take on a 1st or 2nd year undergrad. I know at my school they usually only consider juniors and seniors for undergrad research work. If they will take you, start as early as possible.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would think your only obstacle would be to find a professor that wanted to take on a 1st or 2nd year undergrad. I know at my school they usually only consider juniors and seniors for undergrad research work. If they will take you, start as early as possible.

Agreed, the big thing is whether you know any science at all to start in a lab. I am sure you could get in as a tech, where you'd be doing a job requiring no science, i.e creating gels and washing glassware. If you have time now, you might as well get your foot in the door, but if you don't think you'd gain anything useful, then wait.

Hi tinkerbell10. You might want to find out if your school has a research program for undergraduates. Mine did - they kept a running list of professors looking for assistants and descriptions of their projects (and it only required a commitment of 6 hours a week). And sometimes professors will make announcements in class about needing assistants in their lab. So if you can balance it with your coursework, it's great to get the experience early on.

Hi tinkerbell10. You might want to find out if your school has a research program for undergraduates. Mine did - they kept a running list of professors looking for assistants and descriptions of their projects (and it only required a commitment of 6 hours a week). And sometimes professors will make announcements in class about needing assistants in their lab. So if you can balance it with your coursework, it's great to get the experience early on.

I agree with this post, but would add that you should try to find research that you are somewhat familiar with, e.g. if you are attempting to do work with microbes, its best to have some courses in microbiology/genetics, etc. If you are looking for research primarily for your pre-med resume, you want to make sure you can understand what is happening in the lab so that you will be comfortable discussing it during your interviews. I've noticed that Grad students are much more willing to help teach you things in the lab if you have a decent idea of what is going on and show interest in their work. If they think you are there without a clue, get ready for some scut!