Working one year to get residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

For family and locale reasons, I'm hoping to move to a state that has pretty strong in-state preference for their med schools. I have no real connection to the state, nor do I really plan on living there the rest of my natural born life. I plan to apply as OOS, and in any (hopeful) interviews, try to emphasize how the state is a perfect fit for my wife and I for a long time to come.

My question is, if I don't get in (because of the OOS issue), does switching over car, driver's license, etc. and working for one year really convince the school that you've suddenly fallen in love with the state and will live there forever? Or is it mainly that you've jumped through all the hoops, and now they can't deny you? There is a clause in the regulations saying that you can't have moved to the state for school. So, if you apply one year, get rejected, and apply the next in-state, has anyone ever been called out and still denied in-state preference?

Members don't see this ad.

Probably not a good idea. You also might want to check with schools because sometimes they make you prove why you moved there before granting residency such that moving there to get residency isn't accepted (not sure how they check it but I thought I saw that somewhere). Regardless, it seems like a bad idea to just pick up everything on the hopes it helps you get in there.

Probably not a good idea. You also might want to check with schools because sometimes they make you prove why you moved there before granting residency such that moving there to get residency isn't accepted (not sure how they check it but I thought I saw that somewhere). Regardless, it seems like a bad idea to just pick up everything on the hopes it helps you get in there.

I don't think that's quite right. If you have family ties to the area, and move there to establish residency, the schools will only see that you are a resident, not that you moved there one year ago. You don't have to prove to the school why you should be considered a resident, just that you are one. Residency issues are taken up through the state, not through the school, unless you are contending for residency by living there less than a year.

So I would say go for it. If you think it will give you a better chance at being accepted to the school of your choice, I find nothing wrong with your plan.

Members don't see this ad :)
1 yr only?wow, its darn near impossible in some states that ive considered doing this for.

i'm only speaking for Texas here, but I'm sure other states have similar laws.

as far as i know, if you buy property in texas, work for a year in texas, can be claimed as a dependent by residents of texas, or marry a texas resident, you can gain residency status.

TMDSAS looks at your residency status at the beginning of the application process. applying as a nonresident (here) might affect how you are considered for interviews/decisions. with 90% of acceptances going to IS, you probably want to make sure you can get that status early.

1 yr only?wow, its darn near impossible in some states that ive considered doing this for.

I agree with this - anybody considering this should get all the facts beforehand...do not ASSUME that it is as simple as moving to the other state, getting a job, etc...

I read somewhere that to be considered instate in Massachusetts, one must establish residency something like 5 years before applying to a public college - sounds extreme, but I have read this several times...