Working Through Undergrad Years

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HurricaneKatt

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am just finishing my Freshman year of Undergrad. school and have taken on a fairly heavy load as well as working full time. I work at a Pilates/Rolfing Studio that does rehabilitative work and gives me the opportunity to work with many medical professionals as well as giving me a different look at the body. It's a great job and the hours are very flexible, but it is still an added stress.
I intend to cut my hours to part time next semester but have been told that I should not work at all during school. However, my parents can offer me very little help and I am essentially putting myself through school. The way I look at it, if I START Med school up to my ears in debt, I'll never get out. Should I keep my job?

Members don't see this ad.

if you can balance it and you enjoy it, why not?

You gotta do what you gotta do. I'm in NROTC and I'm still working because I have other siblings that need the financial support more. It isn't helpful GPA wise to be sure but dems da breaks.

Members don't see this ad :)
I work to help put myself through school. I'm lucky in the fact that my parents can help out somewhat, so I only have to work part-time to make ends meat. I do agree that it's not always GPA friendly, but from what I've heard med schools can be understanding of this, right?
It sounds like you enjoy you're job, but if you're looking for something else, I've found that it's helpful to work on campus. That way it doesn't take as much time from studying/working since it takes you less time to get to/from work. You just have to search for the on-campus jobs that actually pay well ;) Some of my friends make really good money tutoring (plus it helps you remember material you may need for the MCAT, if you feel comfortable tutoring for general chem or something ;) ). Although, it sounds like you've found a nice way to combine clinical experience/E.C's and getting paid which is a nice plus :)

I worked full time my entire undergraduate because I did not want the loans. It was hard at first, but after a few semesters I really was able to balance 40-60 hours a week while taking biochem, genetics, parasitology, and immunology. It CAN be done, just takes a lot of energy and commitment. They were really impressed at my interview that I was able to juggle so much, so if you can do it, go for it!

At first I thought you said you work at ROFL-ing something (I despise acronym internet speak, but that's an aside).

But really, if you can handle it, keep on going. You can always quit later when you really feel like you have to.

I agree. I worked throughout all of undergrad - tour guide, RA, TA - anything that helped me out with pesonal expenses, books,...etc and it really kept me sane. Not only did I get good experience that inadvertently helped me out with future jobs and getting into med school but it was just a really good way for me to keep on top of my studies because I was forced to be balanced between school and work!

I say go for it as long as you can handle it.

I worked about 30 hrs/week waiting tables and teaching guitar when I was in undergrad. Honestly I enjoyed it. I only wish I could've played more recreational sports, cause those were usually in the evenings when I was working. But overall it was a good experience.

I've been working 40 hrs/week throughout my undergrad. This has enabled me to graduate with very little debt and almost $150k in personal savings. It's going to be a huge help when I have to stop working for post-bacc and then apply to med school.

If you can manage it, do it. I'm so so happy that I did. It was a pain in the *** at first but soon you learn to manage your time really well and it works out great. It really makes your future much more attractive, whether you end up going to med school or not.

I agree with what some of the others have stated if you enjoy your work and can handle it why not keep it. I’m in the same boat as you, having to put myself through college, so saving money is defiantly a must to pay off loans and save for med school. Just remember school is more important (that’s what screwed me up my freshman year although I really couldn’t help it) and if you ever feel to stressed cut hours (like you’re doing) or take a vacation if you can and concentrate on school. ;)

Hey!
Thanks everyone for the replies. It's really nice to hear that I'm not the only one who's working through school. Now I have another dilemma... I will definitely continue to work, but two new job opportunities have opened up... I can possibly get a job on campus as an RA and receive free housing and meal plan, and around $200/month and have time to study while I am working. My other option is to work at the hospital in transport, taking patients from one part of the hospital to another, and I will receive higher pay then I am currently making by a few dollars/hr, and $1500 per year towards school, not to mention it will give me much needed experience working in a hospital. However, the job I am at has been a good one and they are very flexible and have done a lot for me; I would be a little sad to leave. Any suggestions or opinions as to which of the three would be the better choice? I've been weighing the pros and cons of each, and am a little stumped. Any advice would be welcome. :) Thanks.