Working two shifts in 24 hours at 2 different location (hospitalist)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bananas85

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Will i run into any insurance (medicare/ medicaid) violations if I work two 12 hours shifts in a 24 hour period at two different location.

Obviously not something I can do frequently but maybe twice a month. So work my last day on a day shift, and then do a night shift for locums at another hospital.

Is it "illegal" or violation? to bill two different locations by a same hospitalist provider with same dates?

Also, one of my locums company is asking me to sign a contract with one of the points being

"8. If no other Medicare Anti-assignment billing exceptions applies, Professional and Client will have joint and several liabilities for any Medicare over payment relating to claims made for Professional's Services, but Client will hold Professional harmless for any such liabilities. Professional shall have unrestricted access to claims submitted by Client for services provided by Professional."

What does that mean to you?

Members don't see this ad.

Will i run into any insurance (medicare/ medicaid) violations if I work two 12 hours shifts in a 24 hour period at two different location.

Obviously not something I can do frequently but maybe twice a month. So work my last day on a day shift, and then do a night shift for locums at another hospital.

Is it "illegal" or violation? to bill two different locations by a same hospitalist provider with same dates?

Also, one of my locums company is asking me to sign a contract with one of the points being

"8. If no other Medicare Anti-assignment billing exceptions applies, Professional and Client will have joint and several liabilities for any Medicare over payment relating to claims made for Professional's Services, but Client will hold Professional harmless for any such liabilities. Professional shall have unrestricted access to claims submitted by Client for services provided by Professional."

What does that mean to you?
that they can take your money....say no.

I think the last part of the statement is saying they will keep my billing which is standard for all locum jobs. they pay me hourly and keep what i code.

I just dont know what the first part means "anti assignment billing exception" dont remember signing anything like that previously

I think the last part of the statement is saying they will keep my billing which is standard for all locum jobs. they pay me hourly and keep what i code.

I just dont know what the first part means "anti assignment billing exception" dont remember signing anything like that previously

Basically, it is lawyerese protecting them (and you) in case Medicare law/regulation changes. If for someone reason Medicare says you can't do what is in that paragraph, then you won't do what is in that paragraph.

Getting more specific with the terms, if Medicare comes back and says you improperly coded and owe them money, then both you and the employer are responsible for paying that amount, but the employer will pay your share of that amount. The problem for you would come in if Medicare detects substantial billing fraud, wants a lot of money back, and the employer declares bankruptcy and/or says they don't have any money to pay. In that case, you are on the hook for the full amount. It would be nice if they said they took complete responsibility, but I don't think that would work. No matter what the contract says, Medicare is coming after you for the money if the employer can't pay. So that is a moot point.

It also says that you can inspect all of the claims information. If you are being paid a straight-salary, then that is not important. However, if there is any RVU component, you have the right to audit their information.

I am not a lawyer, although I deal with this type of stuff, and if you act on advice over the internet you are an idiot... but with all that said, I don't find anything in that specific provision that is particularly concerning. (Also remember that state law is decisive for interpreting contracts. What is true in one state might not be in yours.)

Last edited: