shingshing

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 13, 2005
Status
Hi guys, I have been thinking to work part time when I attend dental school. I have been a part time graphic designer working 20 hours a week while going to school half time. I dont know how busy it could get being a D1 student, but i am thinking to get some freelance graphic works. Anyone has done that? Anyone has done something outside school to generate some extra cash??

TimR

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 27, 2005
Status
shingshing said:
Hi guys, I have been thinking to work part time when I attend dental school. I have been a part time graphic designer working 20 hours a week while going to school half time. I dont know how busy it could get being a D1 student, but i am thinking to get some freelance graphic works. Anyone has done that? Anyone has done something outside school to generate some extra cash??
a friend of mine was a limo driver on the weekends.....

i think it would be best to just devote all your time to school.

Kniles5

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 24, 2005
SC
Status
Pre-Dental
shingshing said:
If you think about it, extra time is probably best spent in clinics or learning more about specialties. Ultimately, it is going to makes you more money, because you will develop more talents and be able to broaden your capabilities as a dentist. The more you can do, the more patients you can see. Just a thought.... :rolleyes:

About the Ads

beredsox2

The Anti Anti-Dentite
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 20, 2005
Madtown/Beantown
Status
Pre-Dental
Kniles5 said:
If you think about it, extra time is probably best spent in clinics or learning more about specialties. Ultimately, it is going to makes you more money, because you will develop more talents and be able to broaden your capabilities as a dentist. The more you can do, the more patients you can see. Just a thought.... :rolleyes:

I second that motion. Or at least take some time out for yourself to just relax. They'll be throwing a lot of material at us all the time. So if you do find some rare free time, I say go spend it with your friends.

DentistBunaHay

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 28, 2005
Status
spend free time relaxing or just thinking about the rewards you're going to get one you get out but DON"T WORK. It can have a toll on your endurance.

I'mFillingFine

Pulptastic
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 23, 2005
Shuffled off....
Status
Dental Student
The students I spoke with said the same thing; work BEFORE school starts and in the summers, but not during the school years. If you're not studying all the time for boards or doing research, summer jobs can pull in quite a bit of spending money for the year....

ItsGavinC

Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Oct 7, 2001
Arizona
Status
Dentist
Don't work. It's doable, but there will be days when the mental strain of having to do something after school will simply be too much to handle. You'll be woried about an upcoming exam, a group project, catching up on reading, and finishing a couple of lab wax-ups or something, and then you'll remember the 20 hours of work you have to get done that week. You can do it, but I wouldn't.

JohnUNLV

No longer brainwashed...
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 1, 2005
Las Vegas
www.newyorkyankees.com
Status
phremius said:
if you generally do things fast and are proficient you can easily work while in dental school.
I'm not so sure I agree. While you might be able to do graphic design in less time than say parking cars I still says its a bad idea to work during D school. I have had to work a full time job my whole time as an undergrad (always over 15 credits) and it sure does take its toll, even though undergrad is far easier than D school. My friends are in their first year, they dont work, and they are on edge. They are always overwhelmed and going crazy, especially right now around finals time.
Just take out extra loans and spend that work time studying ;)

shingshing

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 13, 2005
Status
Thanks for your inputs!! So majority voted for not working. I guess I should just focus on studying the first year. How about working as a part time Hygienist on D3 or D4? Anyone thought about doing this?

About the Ads