1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Working while in dental school: a bad idea?

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by shingshing, Dec 8, 2005.

1. shingshing

shingshing Member
    5+ Year Member

Hi guys, I have been thinking to work part time when I attend dental school. I have been a part time graphic designer working 20 hours a week while going to school half time. I dont know how busy it could get being a D1 student, but i am thinking to get some freelance graphic works. Anyone has done that? Anyone has done something outside school to generate some extra cash??

2. TimR

TimR Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

a friend of mine was a limo driver on the weekends.....

i think it would be best to just devote all your time to school.

3. Kniles5

Kniles5 Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    If you think about it, extra time is probably best spent in clinics or learning more about specialties. Ultimately, it is going to makes you more money, because you will develop more talents and be able to broaden your capabilities as a dentist. The more you can do, the more patients you can see. Just a thought.... :rolleyes:

4. beredsox2

beredsox2 The Anti Anti-Dentite
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental

I second that motion. Or at least take some time out for yourself to just relax. They'll be throwing a lot of material at us all the time. So if you do find some rare free time, I say go spend it with your friends.

5. DentistBunaHay

5+ Year Member

spend free time relaxing or just thinking about the rewards you're going to get one you get out but DON"T WORK. It can have a toll on your endurance.

6. I'mFillingFine

I'mFillingFine Pulptastic
    5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    The students I spoke with said the same thing; work BEFORE school starts and in the summers, but not during the school years. If you're not studying all the time for boards or doing research, summer jobs can pull in quite a bit of spending money for the year....

7. ItsGavinC

Dentist Moderator Emeritus 15+ Year Member

Dentist
    Don't work. It's doable, but there will be days when the mental strain of having to do something after school will simply be too much to handle. You'll be woried about an upcoming exam, a group project, catching up on reading, and finishing a couple of lab wax-ups or something, and then you'll remember the 20 hours of work you have to get done that week. You can do it, but I wouldn't.

8. phremius

phremius Dentist
    10+ Year Member

if you generally do things fast and are proficient you can easily work while in dental school.

9. JohnUNLV

JohnUNLV No longer brainwashed...
    5+ Year Member

I'm not so sure I agree. While you might be able to do graphic design in less time than say parking cars I still says its a bad idea to work during D school. I have had to work a full time job my whole time as an undergrad (always over 15 credits) and it sure does take its toll, even though undergrad is far easier than D school. My friends are in their first year, they dont work, and they are on edge. They are always overwhelmed and going crazy, especially right now around finals time.
    Just take out extra loans and spend that work time studying ;)

10. shingshing

shingshing Member
    5+ Year Member

Thanks for your inputs!! So majority voted for not working. I guess I should just focus on studying the first year. How about working as a part time Hygienist on D3 or D4? Anyone thought about doing this?