Working while in med school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MRBPharmD

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it possible to work (say 10 - 20 hours a week) while in school? I would think the first two years are a possibility, but not the last two.

Members don't see this ad.

Personally I couldn't do it. None of the material has been hard it's just the volume. I need all the time and then some to stay caught up and to stay a little ahead.

do a thread search on this topic; it's been covered ad infinitum. i worked all 1st year (~20hrs/week) and plan on doing the same this year. i've said much, much more about it in other posts.

Members don't see this ad :)
It would be very difficult to work during any of the four years of medical school.

I taught MCAT prep classes for princeton review all last year, I plan on doing that again at least for M1....once you have the lesson plans worked out its really not a lot of work just to teach the class (~1 hr to prep, 2.5hrs teaching) plus the pay is good :thumbup: ....and i'm poor :thumbdown:

Easily done in the first two years. Forget about it after that.

No way. I couldn't find time to go to the grocery store the first two years much less hold down a job due to amount of time needed for studying. Third and so far fourth year I have actually had more free time but it is here and there and not something you can plan on. Just consider it a welcome surprise and take out loans.

I know many people who worked during the first 2 years. i did too. I worked as a medic on an ambulance on the weekends occasionally. many people worked as EKG techs. RT, nurses etc....

a lot of people got jobs in the library, computer desk etc, labs etc....

most people find it easy to work during the first 2 years. at least in my experience.

later

Very doable in 1st, 2nd, and 4th years.

I worked 20 to 25 hours/wk during first year and plan the same this year. Just stay on top of studying.

I worked about 15-25 hours a week every year of medical school. I wouldn't recommend it, though.

I had 2 jobs my first year and worked 20hrs/wk (saturdays, sundays AND during the week.) I was, however, taking half the 1st year course load..When crunch time came tho, I took a weekend off from work. I'm a huge procrastinator...well more like a huge daydreamer and although it was difficult, I still survived. Whatever works for you. My main job was non-science related so it was a nice break at times.

depends on you. i personally would be unhappy without my job (coaching gymnastics 10-12 hours/week). It keeps my studying on schedule and gives me a great break in the day. But then I don't do as much studying as some of my classmates . . .

MRBPharmD said:
Is it possible to work (say 10 - 20 hours a week) while in school? I would think the first two years are a possibility, but not the last two.

Hi. I worked for most of my first year in school and survived. I was working part-time at a pharmaceutical company as a clinical data reviewer so my hours were flexible (this is key). I had to stop making site visits, but I was able to check and verify data at any hour, so I often went into the office after lunch or afternoon classes and stayed until the late evening. I was putting in anywhere from 10-25 hours, more if I worked weekends. It was brutal at times, but my employer was very understanding.

Some things to consider:
1) goodbye social life
2) if you have no background in the first-year material, forget it. if some of it is review, then you have a chance.
3) first year will be more difficult than you are expecting. plan with your employer to allow for periodic rescheduling or changing of your hours. it is very unlikely that your school will make any exceptions regarding exams to fit your work schedule.
4) lie on your timesheet :)
5) even if you survive working durign first year, consider not doing it your second year. the volume of info to learn increases, and you'll be thrust back into the working world (in a sense) when you hit your clinical rotations.

pm me if you have more questions.

a guy in my class worked as a research tech for 20 hours a week at our university...great thing was that if you are part time (at least 20 hrs a week) you can get a tuition waiver. so he didn't have to pay for tuition first year. saved him about $12,000. he's doing the same thing this year. some other students work too, so it is possible.

I worked all 4 years of med school. My work is fun, so I looked at it as more of a break from the pace. OTOH, the VOLUME of info in med school is outrageous. You need time to get it learned/memorized. Be good to yourself.

lattimer13 said:
a guy in my class worked as a research tech for 20 hours a week at our university...great thing was that if you are part time (at least 20 hrs a week) you can get a tuition waiver. so he didn't have to pay for tuition first year. saved him about $12,000. he's doing the same thing this year. some other students work too, so it is possible.

what school?