working while in medical school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kolecom

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it possible to work several hours a week while in medical school?

Members don't see this ad.

Would not do it unless it is in the medical school library or something like that.

We had to sign contracts at our school stating we would not work.

In the end, you won't make enough to make a financial difference, so I'd just take a little extra out on the loans.

------------------
Jim Henderson, MD at http://www.studentdoctor.net

Thank you for your advice. I am a physical therapist and was thinking about working several hours on Saturday or Sunday. I have a lot of nursing home experience and the PRN rate is pretty good for weekend work. You're probably right though-the financial benefit in the end would probably not be worth it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey - I wouldn't recommend anymore than workstudy - library or something like that. Heck - my wife doesn't even work, because daycare for our 13 month old would cost about as much as she could make (bear in mind that I am the student, not my wife! Besides, we live in Kirksville!!!). While you may be able to make a few bucks on the weekend, you will probably find that you need your weekends to (1) study for an upcoming test, or (2) decompress and relax a bit. If you are like me, $200 - 300 per week for a weekend of work isn't worth it when you consider that you may incur tens of thousands (or well over $100,000 at KCOM) of debt by the time you finish. That's why you have 10 years to pay off your loan!