working while in school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jlee9531

J,A,S
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
i do believe there are some schools that do not allow you to work so you can focus on your studies.

Members don't see this ad.

DON'T DO IT! let me repeat that- DON'T DO IT! you can find enough financial aid somewhere!

i dont know what happened to the rest of my post, but anyways...

I was just curious if anyone had any good ideas, or cool jobs that allowed time to study, as well as the flexibility needed for a changing class schedule??

It will be so nice to be out of the whole "computer / networking support" scene soon - the hard part is breaking ties w/ the paycheck...lol

Members don't see this ad :)
Youth Basketball Referee. Can do as many or as little games that you want, on weekends or during the week. One game lasts about an hour and pays from $30-45 depending on the level.

I guess that the only way that a school could prevent you from working is to not offer you any work-study aid. I've known several people who were able to hold down a job in med school, but of course their hours dwindled as the semester went on. Also, why not teach on a flexible schedule for Kaplan, TPR, etc.

And although the book is a bit dated, I found it interesting how a classmate of Robert Marion's (in "Learning to Play God") held down a full time job in Connecticut and was able to return to Bronx, NY the night before a test, only attending exams and studying on his own.

pretty much all of my MCAT instructors last year were med students. It only required a few hours a week and they seemed to have the time to do it. That's a not very demanding option if you must work.

I'm thinking of holding onto my Kaplan job and maybe just working one class a week or something, it's not a ton of money but it might help me feel like at least I'm contributing a little, and keep my foot in the working world, and not get completely consumed with just one aspect of my life.

Originally posted by jlee9531
i do believe there are some schools that do not allow you to work so you can focus on your studies.

my bf is a law student at uc hastings, and they're not allowed to work their first year.

assuming i get in, i also hope to continue MCAT teaching. another thing i'd be interested in doing is TA-ing undergrad classes. but we'll see how much time i have. at the least i want to be involved in community service.

one of my friends is a mystery shopper. not a whole lot of money but it's pretty flexible. plus not only does she get paid to shop, she gets free food when she does the restaurant gigs. free food is definitely convenient for a college student. for the sit-down restaurants she'll also get to take one or two friends - so free food for me :)

why not try to work in the school library? it's quiet, all the books are there for you to use, and you occasionally have to check something out for someone. alot of downtime ...
or if the school has dorms, and they need student "security guards" at the door to sign in guests, you are basically getting paid to study.
these were the jobs all the smart people had in college, i would imagine it would also work for med school...