Working while in school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kdances

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know that schools advise that students don't work while in medical school. But what about a simple job such as teaching a class at a gym twice a week? Have any of you ever tried a non stress part time job that was <4hrs/wk?

Members don't see this ad.

On the same thread, how about doing a weekend night turn on the medic unit?

Any job would be difficult to keep up with. Time is so precious during your first and second years that the last thing you would want to worry about when you have a test on Tuesday morning is to think about making it into work on Monday night. Because you most likely will have a test at least once a week this would happen over and over again. Eventually, at least if it were me, it would get draining, and not nearly worth the extra tidbit of cash you would be making on the side. Maybe some out there with incredible organizational skills that prefer to study so well in advance might have the ability to hold down such a job. But in so far as my first two years of medical school is concered, I can't see how such a scenario would happen. I have yet to talk to a classmate that said he/she didn't cherish those few extra hours of studying the night before an exam. If it something you really want to do, I don't think it would hurt to try it out though. Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
kdances said:
I know that schools advise that students don't work while in medical school. But what about a simple job such as teaching a class at a gym twice a week? Have any of you ever tried a non stress part time job that was <4hrs/wk?

what is the monetary benefit of 4hrs a week?? there must be more motivation than money here....

cooldreams said:
what is the monetary benefit of 4hrs a week?? there must be more motivation than money here....

yeah I currently teach at a gym and taught dance classes throughout college....it is a real stress reliever! I get paid to work out and have fun. I thought it wouldn't be too hard to teach once or twice a week while in school but I wanted to get feedback. :D

I have classmates that work, but they are definitely the exception (not counting workstudy here).

If you're going to try to work, something low stress and flexible is best. Much of the time it is do-able, but heavy testing times are not good times to have anything extra that you have to do.

I am not currently in medical school but it seems that teaching a gym class would be fine. Most gym class are 30-60 mins long so that would only be two hours max a wk...right? Plus it is healthy to go to the gym...there must be med students that enjoy working out to keep in shape. Just my 2 cents, if it counts for anything. :)

I am fortunate that I am a Medical Technologist, so I can work for a fair amount of money. I worked every Wednesday 3-11 during my 2nd year, and also one weekend a month.

I think it is all about time management and how you focus your studies. Again, working in the lab at a hospital has its advantages in that I typically got paid (very well) to study.

And on top of that, its a break from the mundane at school.

Depending on what the job is, it maybe totally fine. My ex taught body sculpting and and aerobics classes 4-5x/week during MSI and MSII and she found it stress relieving and a wonderful diversion from school and studying.
I on the other hand needed all my time to study...so it depends on what kind of student/study person you are...

Just remember to make school the priority, and not to dig yourself into any holes....like snow...the material can pile up really fast....and you will be stuck in an avalanche

Hey Kdances,

This is an interesting thread because I was thinking the exact same thing. I teach three times a week and I'm also training for a marathon. I'm pretty active in general and I need a physical outlet. I understand I won't have tons of time to run 20 miles on a Saturday morning, but I thrive on the benefits of working out. I love getting paid to workout and I'm planning to teach at least twice a week when I'm in school. I just need to find out the info from the gym at PCOM.
Good luck, and it sounds like you and I need to workout so I say go for it, make a few extra bucks. How can you go through med-school without some type of stress reliever?
Besides, it?s all about time management.

sandiegodo said:
Hey Kdances,
This is an interesting thread because I was thinking the exact same thing. I teach three times a week and I'm also training for a marathon. I'm pretty active in general and I need a physical outlet. I understand I won't have tons of time to run 20 miles on a Saturday morning, but I thrive on the benefits of working out. I love getting paid to workout and I'm planning to teach at least twice a week when I'm in school. I just need to find out the info from the gym at PCOM.
Good luck, and it sounds like you and I need to workout so I say go for it, make a few extra bucks. How can you go through med-school without some type of stress reliever?
Besides, it's all about time management.

I don't think you are going to have too much of a problem keeping up the activity level sandie. From the times that I have been in the PCOM gym it appears a lot of the students don't have a problem making time for exercise. There are usually a lot of student taught exercise classes posted on the bulletin board too, so you should not have any problem gettin paid for working out. I personally plan on continuing tutoring during the school year and maye doing some consulting work during our vacations the first two years.

I was able to work about an average of 12 hours per week and it allowed me to clear over 20K extra per year. I am going to try and up the hours for 3rd year to 20 hours and moonlight about 10 hours per week in intern year in a few years. My goal is 6 figures in years 2 and 3 of residency!!

Matt

PACtoDOC said:
I was able to work about an average of 12 hours per week and it allowed me to clear over 20K extra per year. I am going to try and up the hours for 3rd year to 20 hours and moonlight about 10 hours per week in intern year in a few years. My goal is 6 figures in years 2 and 3 of residency!!

Matt

:eek: :eek: Well that definately takes good time management and I definately couldn't pull that off. I was sweating working only 2hrs a week!

PACtoDOC said:

Matt

YIKES that is insane.... so, did you even have a life? I envy you for being able to handle 12 hrs/wk plus study-time. I'm more like you Kdances, I'll be fine with 2 hrs./ wk. :)

UltimateDO said:
I don't think you are going to have too much of a problem keeping up the activity level sandie. From the times that I have been in the PCOM gym it appears a lot of the students don't have a problem making time for exercise. There are usually a lot of student taught exercise classes posted on the bulletin board too, so you should not have any problem gettin paid for working out. I personally plan on continuing tutoring during the school year and maye doing some consulting work during our vacations the first two years.

Yeah, when I was there for my interview, I remember seeing a lot of active students. It made me feel at home. Which bulletin board are you referring to? Is it at the gym?
Tutoring sounds like a great idea. I worked as a tutor after college and it was decent money, not to mention very flexible. What type of tutoring/consulting would you pursue while at PCOM?

sandiegodo said:
Yeah, when I was there for my interview, I remember seeing a lot of active students. It made me feel at home. Which bulletin board are you referring to? Is it at the gym?
Tutoring sounds like a great idea. I worked as a tutor after college and it was decent money, not to mention very flexible. What type of tutoring/consulting would you pursue while at PCOM?

There is a big bulletin board in the gym across from the locker with all of the classes available (yoga, spinning, aerobics, step, etc.) in addition that is where all of the sports clubs post their info. Lots of fun stuff to blow off steam with. I am probably going to be doing some consulting for my current company and maybe for one of my current software vendors. My tutoring is done independantly to high school, college and grad students. I used to tutor for Kaplan (SAT, GRE, and MCAT) but decided I could make a lot more on my own and have a little more flexiblity with tailoring it to the students needs.