1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Working while interviewing?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Misfit!, Jul 28, 2006.

1. Misfit!

Misfit! Ihate everything aboutyou
    10+ Year Member

What are pple's experiences with this? I'm applying now, just graduated this year, and was planning on working (full-time, possibly research, etc) during this interim year to keep busy. Is this difficult to do while interviewing (assuming I get any interviews)? Any advice? Thanks.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. TinyFish

TinyFish Member
    5+ Year Member

I interviewed while working... We got two weeks of vacation every year, and honestly, I did use most of my vacation to go interviewing. I got pretty burned out, but it's doable. My boss didn't really like my going away, and kept asking me if I was "done interviewing." But then again, she was the type who would have been really happy if I worked 12 hours/day, 7 days a week, so she never would have been satisified anyway.

You can do it. You'll be tired, but you can do it. :D

4. Misfit!

Misfit! Ihate everything aboutyou
    10+ Year Member

Thanks! Did your bosses know going into that year that you were applying to med school? (people have cringed when i've said that at job interviews, so i was planning on not bringing it up unless necessary). How many interviews did you go on?

5. spygal

spygal Member
    2+ Year Member

I've been working at the same position for the past year, and my boss is completely supportive. He's had no problem with me taking time off during the week to get more shadowing experience. I'm taking evening classes, but if there was a class I wanted to take during the day that wouldn't be a problem either. During interview season, I'll be working the occassional weekend to make up some of the time off, but the key is to find a boss who is more about quality of work and doesn't watch the hours that you're there. This is easy enough to do with a research job at least.

6. WilliamsF1

2+ Year Member

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    I'm in the EXACT situation. I graduated this past May and I've been applying to jobs. I would suggest don't bring up the fact you're applying to med schools. I don't tell them that because I don't know if I'm going to med school because if I don't get in, I'll just keep my business job. Taking vacation leave seems really the only way to do it imo because I really doubt med schools will have anything on the weekends for the working class.

7. as06

as06 Member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I am in your situation as well - business job and all with the same intention to hold on to it if this doesn't work out. How are you planning to tell your employer that you (hopefully) need to take off a number randomly spaced days?

8. Haemulon

Haemulon Slippery When Wet
    Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I have no idea how I am going to deal with this issue. I am working full-time and my employer does not know of my MD plans. Would not be a good thing if they did either (I they want me here long term). On top of that, I don't have much vacation time built up cause I had to use it this passed spring.

9. WilliamsF1

2+ Year Member

This will definitely be the hard part for people in our situation. Most companies I've spoken to have the policy where you gain 1 vacation day after working X number of days so it adds up. It might come down to the wrong time where I have no vacation time for an interview. I really don't want that to happen. Right now I've stopped my job search process because of the MCAT. Maybe I'll get lucky and have interviews before I ever land a job.

Edit: I even got a job offer last Friday to start this following Monday, but I turned it down because I'm studying now for MCAT. I hadn't heard from them in a month and they just came out of the blue when I decided to get into gear for studying. :(

10. Haemulon

Resident [Any Field]
    Us full-time workers may just have to be particularly focused on which schools we realistically want to gun for. If I am fortunate enough to get a whole bunch of interviews, may have to turn some down to make it compatable with maintaining my job (I have a family to feed). cost/benefit. Tough choices.

11. WilliamsF1

2+ Year Member

Do you plan to work full-time and be in med school? How will that work out, what are your hours? I like this idea and wouldn't mind trying it. I think it wouldn't be possible in my field with school hours. The financial places I've been applying at are all 9-5 pretty much. Right over the hours of school, wonderful.

Edit: I think this idea is viable for those with families of course. I see what you mean about turning down interviews because you think it's unrealistic to get in. I'm not sure if I'd do that, I wouldn't want my money to go to waste. :)

12. Haemulon

Resident [Any Field]
    I should clarify, I meant that I need to maintain my job *until* med. school starts. No way could I work and go to med school at the same time. I want to be totally focused at that point.

As for the interviews, I applied to 14 schools. Lets say that I am lucky and get interviews at half of them. If you figure that I need to probably take 2 days off of work per interview because of travel time (or maybe 2 1/2 or 3 if its in the middle of the week), and then multiply that by 7 interviews, thats about 3 work weeks worth of time at least. More time with even more interviews of course. I only get 5 weeks vacation a year and will be needing to take some time off for paternity leave in the Fall as well. I currently have only 3 days of vacations to spend. See the problem? Not to mention having to actually get my supervisor to let me have the time off, since he will not know the purpose of my travels.

13. medstylee

medstylee 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    i attended interviews this past year while working full-time. i was lucky that my boss was supportive. what i suggest, when possible, is to try and schedule your interviews on mondays. that way, you can travel on sunday and you'll only have to take 1 day off from work. i also got two interview invites after my two weeks of vacation had already been used. in those cases, i actually just called in sick to work (one was particularly tough because i was in a hotel in a different time zone, so i had to wake up real early to call into work). so, it might be a good idea not to blab to everyone at work about your interviews, just in case you need to make pretend you're sick. best of luck.

14. OneDayDoc

OneDayDoc Member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I am in that same situation. I am working full time as a lab tech and part time as an MCAT tutor. For both jobs, I made it clear that I will be interviewing occasionally for medical schools. I think if you are open about it--depending on the position--it shouldn't be a problem. Then again, if you are working full time as an investment banker, they might have an issue.

15. musiclink213

musiclink213 My room is a mess
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    At the job I'm hoping to get, they have a bunch of people who work for them for one year before shipping out to medical school. They also have a bunch of people who started working for them after graduation, got accepted to the medical school nearby, and continued working and doing research there part time when they were in school. So if I do get hired there, I shouldn't have much of a problem taking time off.

But if I don't get that job, I was thinking of maybe just working part time, so it would be easier to go on interviews. I applied to about 30 schools (MD and DO), so if I get a bunch of interviews, it might just be easier to work part time and schedule them for the days I would be off. Then again, I'm lucky that I can work part time because I will be living at home for the year, so there are no worries about rent or food. I know it's totally different if you have a family or need to pay for rent, food, etc.

16. Haemulon

Resident [Any Field]
    Excellent idea about the Monday interviews. Good advice about the calling in sick too. Can only use it maybe once probably, but still its something. I do not think I can tell my supervisor about my plans as he is really counting on me being here fairly long-term. It would make for a very awkward year until matriculation if the management knew and viewed it as wasted time with me in the position at that point. I will of course give ample notice prior to leaving (perhaps several months) next summer. But I'm not even accepted yet, so have to focus on that first.