Working with a PI at another Insitution

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Manish003333

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

Just wondering if anyone has experience having worked with a PI at a different institution from their own? I would love to know how you approached the PI and what your experience was like.

I am considering this since my school's department in this particular specialty is quite small, so I would not want blowback from seeming like I am working on a new project while still being at the early stages of one.

Members don't see this ad.

Just as a word of advice, it depends on what you are doing. If you are expecting anything in person at another institution, you will likely run into significant OSHA hurdles. For instance, we can hire someone for a paid position that is opened to everyone, ie a actual job, and once they go through all the required training, they can do research (clinical or basic). However, we are not allowed to have in-person students come to do research as part of an unpaid summer research gig. Some departments in my institution have special setups to take students through prespecified programs, so if you're doing that, that's probably okay (and they are usually paid to some degree), but if you just want to show up to a different institution to get volunteer research experience, that may not be allowed. Of course, if this is all online or long distance and there's no in-person contact, then the OSHA standards don't apply.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I do chart reviews at an institution near my house. I’ve never even stepped foot on campus but will be published (if it gets accepted) hopefully soon. Definitely worth it!

edit: I asked to shadow and the PI said yes but then covid happened so I did research instead

I do chart reviews at an institution near my house. I’ve never even stepped foot on campus but will be published (if it gets accepted) hopefully soon. Definitely worth it!

edit: I asked to shadow and the PI said yes but then covid happened so I did research instead
Not to hijack the thread, how do you help with projects without being affiliated? Specifically, how do you get EMR access?

Not to hijack the thread, how do you help with projects without being affiliated? Specifically, how do you get EMR access?
The PI emailed their secretary and asked for me to get remote EMR access. I now can get it off my computer.
In terms of helping with projects, it is just a lot of email communication and I write papers and send them to people for them to review/edit. Every few months, a phone call if someone thing is too complex to do over email.