Medical Workman Advising Group now providing medical school admissions advising

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WorkmanAdvisingGroup

Dr. Stephen Workman
Vendor
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Greetings:

From 2009-2016, I was the Associate Dean for Admissions at Virginia Tech Carilion School of Medicine (VTCSOM) in Roanoke, VA, one of the first of the new wave of MD medical schools. While at VTCSOM, I organized the new admissions office, established the admissions committee, and developed the admissions application review, selection, and acceptance processes.

Now I am providing individualized advising and consulting services for medical school applicants. Very few of the existing medical school advising services have had my recent experience of running a medical school admissions office and understanding all the behind the scenes application reviews that go on BEFORE an application package makes it to the admissions committee.

Over the past eight years, I have presented to numerous campus pre-med groups, applicant open house events, national academic medicine conferences, and at the NIH Professional and Graduate School Fair on how to get into medical school. I have reviewed thousands of medical school applications and personally counseled and coached dozens of applicants on how to improve their qualifications and make their applications to medical school more competitive.

Here’s how my advising process works:

1. After you have contacted me via phone (540-520-1059) or email ([email protected] ), we will schedule an initial 15-20 minute conversation via phone so that you can share your goals and background information. At the end of that conversation, I will send you some information and forms and ask you to complete and return them to me via email.

2. The normal fee for my services is $500. Once I have received your completed forms, I will bill you the fee for the first half of my services ($250).

3. I will review the information you provide, and develop a list of potential actions and strategies designed to make your medical school application more competitive.

4. After I have completed my review (typically 5-7 days), we will schedule a second phone conversation.

5. During the second phone conversation, I will ask for any information missing from the forms you returned, and then we will have a 30-45 minute conversation to go over your record and highlight my recommendations. At the conclusion of that conversation, I will bill you the fee for the second half of my services ($250). I will then forward via email a list of the items we discussed and my recommendations.

6. After you have received the email with the list of items and recommendations we discussed, you are welcome to schedule an additional 15-20 minute conversation to review and ask any additional questions you might have.

My normal advising service will include a review of your academic performance record, MCAT scores, research experience, medical and volunteer experiences, and targeted medical school selections. I’ll also provide you with my personal experience as an admissions dean regarding how to approach essays and letters of recommendation. We’ll discuss your current situation and develop a list of actions and strategies designed to make your medical school application more competitive.

In my experience, this level of advising service is sufficient for about 75% of my medical school applicant clients. If we decide that you need targeted assistance beyond the level of my normal advising service, we can identify those areas and I’ll provide those additional advising and consulting services at a rate of $125/hour.

Please visit my website, http://WorkmanAdvisingGroup.com to learn more about my advising and consulting services. I’m looking forward to helping you achieve your goal of a medical school acceptance!

Stephen Workman, Ph.D.
Workman Advising Group
(540) 520-1059

Members don't see this ad.