Medical World Champion Athlete w/ Low GPA - What are my chances to get into medical school?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tantacles

Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Yes, I am a world champion athlete. Up until COVID, I was even contending for a berth on the US Olympic team. I competed during all 4 years of college for a top DV1 NCAA program, including a team national championship and an individual silver medal at national championships. I am also one of the youngest athletes to win a national championship in my sport. In major part due to my intense training and competition schedule (I was literally traveling out of the country every other weekend!), my gpa is well below medical school averages and medians - 3.40 cumulative + 3.10 science. I do show an upward trajectory moving from a 3.09 (freshman) to a 3.56 (senior) annual cumulative GPA, and from a 2.33 (sophomore) to a 3.53 (senior) annual sGPA. I have a 508 on the MCAT. I also have strong clinical hours in ortho, anesthesiology, and some time with both a DO trauma surgeon and a DO internist. Each of these doctors wrote me a strong recommendation. There is a lot of conversation about the weight of competitive athletes. Leaving aside the "star" factor to which some schools may spark, the balancing of a truly intensive commitment to high level sports with premed academics at an elite university is extremely difficult. I have no problem with DO school. In fact, I think my temperament and goals are more suited for the DO path. Because of my lower GPAs, I am targeting MD schools solely on the basis of being at or above (or very close) to their 25th percentile for MCAT (I heard that being below the 25th percentile is almost always the kiss of death), and filtering out those with OSS admission rates below 40%. I applied the OSS filter to DOs, but ended up applying to about 2/3 of those. Any insights and suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
To be completely honest, it sounds like you have the right idea. Your GPA and MCAT are likely to get you screened out at some MD schools, but there may be quite a few that give you a shot due to your athletic accomplishments. In fact, I would go so far as to say that given your upward trend and good MCAT along with your [well documented] athletic acumen, you may want to cast your line to a few more mid-tier schools to see if something sticks. In terms of MD for you, the more schools the better, and if you can afford it, feel free to put in a few applications to top tier schools.

It's hard to say exactly how much your athletics will boost your application, but I'm pretty certain the boost will be substantial, so keep the schools you have, and aim higher with any additional ones you select.

The one thing I wanted to ask is if you have non-clinical volunteering and clinical experience (beyond shadowing). You didn't mention them, and given your seemingly high level of insight and awareness, I don't want just to assume they don't exist. If they don't you might be slightly hampered, though. I still think I would not change too much about your applications, though, and remember that you only need to get into one medical school to be a doctor.

Members don't see this ad.

Thank you for your prompt and thorough response. I am hesitant, especially considering how many schools I applied to in the first wave, to "cast my line" a bit further. But if I were to do so, are there schools you would recommend? As I first posted, I stuck to schools where my MCAT was 25th percentile or better. There were a couple of borderline ones, e.g., Rosalind-Franklin, Temple, and Vermont, where 25th percentile was a 509, but I generally stuck to the plan. Frankly, as daunted as I feel regarding the GPA standards, seeing those standards accompanied by much higher MCAT scores kind of pushes me toward the edge.

My volunteering is very limited. I used to do more before I fully immersed in athletic competition, but the combination of training, NCAA competition, and competing for Team USA, didn't leave room for much. All of the doctors I mentioned in my OP, including the anesthesiologist, orthopedic surgeon, ER doctor, and internist, involved hands-on work, including patient interaction, working with tools and materials, and being in the operatory during surgical procedures. I did a lot of patient intake and check-out, during which I spoke with patients at length. I am currently working full-time in telehealth as a scribe and patient care associate.

Thanks again. Very much appreciated. Please let me know if there are few nuggets out there you think I should dig for.

If you feel you will be able to reasonably complete all of the secondary applications you currently have, there is no harm in applying to more programs. Rosalind Franklin in particular is not a stat-heavy school, and I think it's a good place to apply for those with slightly low GPAs, like yours. Note that I would only suggest this if you can afford it. Don't go bankrupt applying to more schools than your can afford. If the 25th percentile is a 509, that's not much different than a 508. That being said, Vermont is a state school, so you might have less luck there, but Temple seems like a good investment.

Just to TL;DR that: Apply to more MD schools if you have the time and finances to do so. It can not hurt you. You should not expect to get an interview at every school you apply to, and that is ok.

I would probably like to go to your school in a heartbeat...lol.

The AACOMAS Verified Data:

Freshman: 3.18 (gpa) + 3.03 (bcpm)
Sophomore: 3.09 (gpa) + 2.33 (bcpm)
Junior: 3.54 (gpa) + 3.17 (bcpm)
Senior: 3.56 (gpa) + 3.53 (bcpm)

I don't have the AMCAS verified data yet. It may be higher because it includes Math and Stats in which I did very well. They only started reviews on 7/10 and project anywhere from 4-8 weeks to reach verified status.

Would love to talk fencing if you like!
Chances for MD best with your state school. But far greater with DO

Status
Not open for further replies.