World Trade Center

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DNALadder2002

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Let us think of those in the World Trade Center...today is a terrible day!

Members don't see this ad.

What an awful tragedy - its very saddening

Surreal(sp?)...absolutely surreal! This is something out of Hollywood.

Everyone should take some time out of their day to remember those who died a most senseless death.

Members don't see this ad :)
Some ****ty third world country will pay for this big time! I say less than a month we will be at war.

Incidents like this remind us how precious life is and quickly it can be snatched from us. With all that's happening (4yr old being stabbed by an 8yr old, WTC bombing, Aaliyah's senseless death etc) - I actually sometimes worry if I'll make it to medical school...it doesn't help the fact that I'm in Manhattan at work right now. My best wishes are with all the friends and families of those who became unfortunate victims today.

PS Why is it that cell phones are not working?? Of all times, this is when it's needed (in an emergency) and I can't even make a call to check up on my dad or my friend who works in lower manhattan :(

A moment of silence....

Let us pray for those involved.

Originally posted by E'01:
•Incidents like this remind us how precious life is and quickly it can be snatched from us. With all that's happening (4yr old being stabbed by an 8yr old, WTC bombing, Aaliyah's senseless death etc) - I actually sometimes worry if I'll make it to medical school...it doesn't help the fact that I'm in Manhattan at work right now. My best wishes are with all the friends and families of those who became unfortunate victims today.

PS Why is it that cell phones are not working?? Of all times, this is when it's needed (in an emergency) and I can't even make a call to check up on my dad or my friend who works in lower manhattan :(

The cell phones arent working because everybody and their brother is trying to call people. Its not a technical glitch, its just that they only have a certain limited bandwidth available to use, and when there are literally millions of people trying to call each other, after a certain point there is no more bandwidth to go around and no further calls can be supported.

The cell phone networks cant support an unlimited amount of bandwidth.

Not to belittle everyone applying this year...but this definitely puts something like the AMCAS problem in a whole new perspective, don't you think?

Also, we may think it was some sh*tty-@ss third-world country or Osama Bin Laden or some other lunatic that orchestrated this mayhem...I'll be the first to admit that they came to mind...but don't forget Oklahoma City...turned out to be one of our own. Don't let prejudice get in the way of the facts.

Whoever is responsible for this, whether they may be a foreign or domestic terrorist(s), they will get f*cked up, or so I hope.

gosh this was so scary! :(

I had a flight leaving Los Angeles airport today....I am so SCARED of flying now....

my heart goes to all the families :(

The reason cell phones don't work in NYC is because the antenna that was placed on top of the World Trade Center collasped!

I'm so upset. Lately the world has come to resemble Tom Clancy novels more and more. I'm sitting here in the computer lab about to cry. To those of you who are in, or have loved ones in New York, my prayers are with you.

Re: some third world countries...

Did you see those arab F@ckers partying in the streets after the news? ABC has footage of them partying, yelling, handing out candy yadda yadda yadda.

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by molecularbiorules:
•Re: some third world countries...

Did you see those arab F@ckers partying in the streets after the news? ABC has footage of them partying, yelling, handing out candy yadda yadda yadda.•

Are you serious? I don't want to believe that.

i saw footage of palestinians in dancing in the streets in west bank. what an absolute tragedy, and it makes me realize why israel has to be so aggressive against terrorism. it also amazes me that israel has had so much restraint.

i don't understand all of this arab fanaticism. check out arabnews.com or arabicnews.com if you get a chance. i also read an article in usnews about suicide bombers and why they do it--they believe they automatically go to heaven and make love to 72 virgins with "eyes like rubies." one teenager attending the terrorist school said that he wanted to kill as many israelis as possible, but the best part was the opportunity to have sex with the virgins.

Yeah I saw that too, They are celebrating and thanking god in the West Bank and in the Gaza strip for what happened in NYC and DC. It's really sickening

Originally posted by DNALadder2002:
•The reason cell phones don't work in NYC is because the antenna that was placed on top of the World Trade Center collasped!•

Frankly, I would be amazed if there is only 1 antenna relay for all of the greater NYC metro area.

I do agree, however, that if there was one at the top of the tower, it would greatly increase the burden on other relays and further limit the bandwidth.

I'm assuming the normal telephone lines are completely maxed out as well. Theres probably not much you can do for right now.

I'm sure our government will get up there and proclaim how we are going to find out who did it and punish them.

That might be true, but I think its important to realize that we effectively CAN NOT prevent terrorist attacks in the U.S.

Its just too easy (if you spend enough time planning) to find a way around the security or to think of a way that the security plans arent prepared for.

I'm assuming the security detail for smaller jets is not as stringent as that for big jets, so the terrorists obviously found a way to exploit that.

Unfortunetely, I was not kidding.

Regardless of the reason, it is pathetic to think that these scum bags enjoy the death of other people.

They shut down UIC, so here I am at home at 11:51AM. I haven't been home on a weekday that wasn't an official holiday in a long time. It feels weird.

bleh.

Just to follow up on what SaucyAZN said. I hope this does help to put everything into perspective. How important does AMCAS taking long seem now? How about MCAT scores, letters of rec. ...? You get the point. WHile these are important, it is easy to get into our premed and med worlds and forget about the world around us. Let us not forget how much more there is to life than just med school.

You couldn't have said it better sundevil1

I agree about the sick arabs celebrating, but just remember when you venture out that not all non-caucasian people are the same. I am sure most people here a rational, but in times of BS tragedy like this we can all lose our senses. Nevertheless let vengance be carried out to anyone and every group that claims responsibility with total and ultimate reprecussions. Maybe again "a sleeping giant has been awoken" again.

i saw footage of palestinians in dancing in the streets in west bank. what an absolute tragedy, and it makes me realize why israel has to be so aggressive against terrorism. it also amazes me that israel has had so much restraint.
i don't understand all of this arab fanaticism. check out arabnews.com or arabicnews.com if you get a chance. i also read an article in usnews about suicide bombers and why they do it--they believe they automatically go to heaven and make love to 72 virgins with "eyes like rubies." one teenager attending the terrorist school said that he wanted to kill as many israelis as possible, but the best part was the opportunity to have sex with the virgins.

The sad part is I had a debate with Praying4MD over this same issue a couple of weeks ago. She told me that the jihad thing is a myth and that the palestinians don't believe in such a thing. She felt that it was news propaganda and I bought into it. You know, political correctness. Well screw that!!! HMmm What I see on TV is REAL There are nations and peoples that HATE americans regardless of where individual Americans stand on their issues. THey hate us so much that they will kill children, women, men, and themselves to prove it. THEY (the palestinians) COULDN'T BE HAPPIER!! I don't care if they have any responsibility in this or not. Their actions are reprehensible and I pray the bleeding hearts of this world will take a look at them in their partying at this horrofic loss of life. Don't they realize that the american public does not support the way Isreal has handled their situation?? They made MANY new enemies today!!
World support for their "plight" is gone.

It is important to realize that the vast majority of the Arab/Islamic world has already condemned this senseless act of terror. The fringe group who committed this act should be treated as such. As for those who rejoice at the site of "The American Infidel" being dealt a blow, take pause. This tragedy will only galvanize the American people against them.
As for the people who did this, may God have mercy on their souls for I am sure, We will not.

What an absolute horror ... I havn't the words to express myself. My thoughts and prayers are with the families of all those hurt by this.
Stay safe you all.

I am horrified by the tragedy and I am saying prayers for the thousands who have been killed.

Lets just keep everyone, especially those directly affected by the tragedy, in our prayers now. They are all in mine. :(

this is absolutely insane...i can't believe something like this happened! i can't imagine having a loved one involved in the tragedy (or being involved in it for that matter). my heart goes out to them.

btw, what are you guys doing about interviews. i'll be scared to get on a plane, and it looks like i have to reschedule my interview this week because LAX is shut down.

What a terrible incident. I pray for the families of the victims....
And I hope the people responsible for this disgusting cowardly act pay for it dearly.

My bet is that the Bush administration will retaliate within 48 hours.

So this is what Pearl Harbor may have felt like.

It's funny, my girlfriend just came back from Hawaii a few days ago, and she bought me a replica of an old newspaper reporting the attack on Pearl Harbor.

This is our generation's Pearl Harbor.
-------------------------

"Where were you on the morning of Tuesday, September 11th, 2001?"

This is so awful...I live right outside of DC and everyone is just shaken completely. This is so surreal and heart-breaking. :(

Why today?

Tomorrow there was going to be the sentencing for one of the terrorists connected with Bin Ladin...

We always see ourselves as immune from the troubles that plague the rest of the world. Now we see this is not the case anymore.

We are still early in the investigation phase. Whether this tragedy is the responsibility of radical terrorists like the Bin-Laden group or anti-US islamic governments, only time will tell. It is unfair and unneccessary for us to persecute a certain faction so quickly and without any facts. I can't talk about this any more right now, I am going to go pray for those lost in these tragedies...

I believe Saudi Arabia, Bahrain, Kuwait and a couple of other Arab nations will not celebrate to the terrorism. These countries are pro-America. They still hate Jews though.

I checked cbsnews.com, and they said today may have some special significance.

Today was the 23rd anniversary of the signing of the Camp David Accords between Egypt and Israel...remember the famous photo of Anwar Sadat, Jimmy Carter, and (I believe) the Prime Minister of Israel?
----------------------

We're dreaming this, right?

How ironic, with the strength of our military and air defense we get attacked right under our noses. I pray for the families.

There is just too much hate in this world.

We have zero-tolerance policies for so many things. How about international terrorism? As soon as the attacker is identified, retribution has to be swift and effective.
I hope they figure out who it was and are able to do this.
It may be a roundabout way of finally addressing the Taliban situation if they are found to be involved.
--watto

Originally posted by Col_4:14:
•The sad part is I had a debate with Praying4MD over this same issue a couple of weeks ago...•
Instead of replying to this, I will only say that it is more important at this time to remember the courageous, innocent victims and my heart goes out to them and their families. This is not an opportunity to discuss politics. Let us reflect upon the sacrifice that those innocent civilians have made.

I am numbed, shocked and speechless. My thoughts and prayers go out to everyone affected by this horrific event. I cannot begin to fathom what the victims and their families are going through.

May God help and comfort you all and may you persevere through this tragedy with dignity and honor. For those not affected directly, let's do all we can to help (volunteer, donate blood, give moral/economical support, etc.) And tell your loved ones how much you appreciate them TODAY. A moment of silence for those who courageously lost their precious lives to senseless actions of cowards...

Originally posted by petros:
•olsen--remember, there is a difference between condemning an attack in public and celebrating in private. after the '72 olympics when palestinians killed all of those israeli olympians, the arab world condemned the action. yet, U.S. CIA agents tapped their lines and heard nothing but congratulations between the nations. same thing when that EGYPTAIR plane went down. The U.S. cried terrorism because the black box had recorded messages of "god is great" repeated in arabic before the plane started to nose dive (arabs say this phrase before committing suicide bombings). Egypt cried racism and prejudice for implying that a muslim would do this. low and behold, after tapping the meetings in Egypt, the U.S. learned that the Egyptian government itself believed it was an act of suicide and terrorism from one of their pilots. When the U.S. called them on this, Egypt changed their stance and the two nations recently released a final report citing possible foul play--it was the best that the U.S. could get out of Egypt.

Now, when you say that the Arab nations condemn the atrocities that transpired this morning, honestly- do you care that Yasser Arafat condemns the terrorism? That's like Homer Simpson giving you a lecture on how to diet. It's insulting. Oh, and it's great that Taliban says it had nothing to do with it and that their hearts are with the Americans. This is the same government held responsible for attacking the U.S. embassy, destroying those 2000 year old historical Buddha statues citing religious blasphemy, and is currently imprisioning Christians for promoting Christianity. Oh, but their hearts go out to us. What about the Arab nations who want to declare a jihad, or holy war, in Sudan? When the peace talks broke down between Pakistan and India last month, Pakistan said that it meant it was time for a holy war--as if that were the logical alternative. How about when those Americans were beheaded along with many other innocent vacationers in (Indonesia? or Fiji?)? The arab nations condemned that too. What the hell does condemning something do EXCEPT for trying to remove the aim of retribution?•

Can you please stop politicizing issues? Who was Timothy McVeigh? Sometimes it is hard to understand, that there are people WITHIN our own government who can commit atrocious acts!

Right now, our prayers should go out to every family who is suffering from this horrendous tragedy...and whoever and wherever the perpetrators they will be punished severely, whether they are WITHIN or Outstide the United States

first of all, if you guys want to do something to help, GO DONATE BLOOD! As an employee of a regional blood bank, i urge everyone who is able to give blood, do so. think of all the victims that are in need of blood....

i can't imagine what people who are in new york city are feeling and thinking right now. i have some cousins that live in manhatten, and who knows where they were this morning.

i went running this morning, as i normally do, only i cried for the first five minutes. i attempted to recite the rosary in my head. i don't know what to think about what's going to happen in the immediate future. and yes, to echo everyone who's posted today, what happened today definitely put the petty things in our lives into perspective. now i worry about whether my brothers, both of whom are in specialized areas of the military, will have to be involved in any type of retaliation efforts.

my god!

My heart goes out to all those who have been hurt or killed in this tragedy. When I saw the top of the second tower collapse onto the street below, I got this terrible sinking feeling in my heart, because all the people beneath were trying to help save the victims of the first crash.

I was watching this in a conference room at George Washington University, where I was supposed to have my my interview today. When there were reports of a car bomb going off at the State Department, just two blocks away, we evacuated the building.

Needless to say my interview was cancelled, but that is just a tiny thing compared to what all those poor people in NYC are going through.

Times like this make me wonder how sick some people's minds can possibly be, and make me thankful that I will some day be able to do my part to combat this terror by helping make broken people well again. Because the best weapon that we have is hope and spirits that are unbroken despite the onslaughts of evil men.

Pray for the families and pray for wisdom and discernment for our President Bush.

Petros,

I am sorry that you feel the need to politicize the issue. Have you ever been to the middle east? To Israel? I lived there for over 1 year and yes, there are definitely extremists there. Just like you there are people there who would like to say that all of the people of a nation and a government are to blame for senseless acts. I condemn the Taliban government, Arafat, and other terrorist leaders and their previous refusal to work with U.S. authorities to capture Bin Laden. Unlike you, I refuse to paint every arab nation, every person, with the same broad brush. Let us find and punish those responsible for these sensless acts. I hope that others don't engage in the xenophobic attacks that you seem so ready to submit. If so, there will be little difference between the monsters celebrating in the streets in the west bank............and us.

It has been said before, but no one has been proven guilty for anything. Don't take this tragedy to be an excuse for racism or unfair generalizations. So what that there were people dancing in the streets in palestine. These specific people might have a morality that disgusts me, but I shouldn't apply that image to everyone in that country or their religion. There are millions of muslims in the world that have nothing to do with terrorism. Your words do have an effect, and your opinions are yours to express-whether I agree with them or not. I suggest that you THINK rationally about the situation and try and be fair and not generalize when you speak about this or any other sensitive situation. I just hope that this incident doesn't spark a war or hate crime or anymore death at all.

9-11 Emergency.

This is a day we will remember.

COL: First you post this in the Everyone Forum, then you delete it and private message me because you care what others will think about your behavior. You know in your heart how despicable and in poor taste it is to use this incident as a way to tell someone over the internet, "I TOLD YA SO! Haha. I won." Is that what this tragedy brings to you? Is that what you gain out of it? My sympathies to you if it is. I feel sorry for you.

You won?? Won what?? Praying4MD, always out to prove something.
I deleted it because it was a letter specifically to you and I learned after some run ins with Tony Clifton and SocialistMD, it is better to debate personally in private. I see you haven't learned this lesson yet.. I reconsidered after realizing that nobody else had any part in this and it was out of line with the topic on conversation. I am surprised you didn't realize this. You are usually pretty good about that. I don't want this to go any further. Not now, not here. I still hope it will proceed that way. If goes anywhere at all.
As far as "Hiding" that is hardly the case. Let my feelings be known, the palestinian scums that were dancing in the street have lost ALL support I may have had for their "plight." I also believe that the jihad is REAL.
Your hyper emotional response of "killing the next palestinian one may see" fits nicely with my understading of you. I never suggested or eluded to supporting genocide. Only hyperemotionalism can carry it that far.

GRANDMASTER & OLSEN: Well said.

After watching the Palestinians dance in the streets at the news... Do you still insist that the idea of a jihad is a myth perpetuated by western media? From the looks of things, I think not... however, the way the Palestinians have reacted... it is highly unlikely they didn't support this action against "the great Satan..."
COL: First you post this in the Everyone Forum, then you delete it and private message me because you care what others will think about your behavior. You know in your heart how despicable and in poor taste it is to use this incident as a way to tell someone over the internet, "I TOLD YA SO! Haha. I won." Is that what this tragedy brings to you? Is that what you gain out of it? My sympathies to you if it is. I feel sorry for you.

I totally condemn WHOEVER has committed this atrocity and I hope the perpetrators are found and swiftly put to a painful death (sadistic as it sounds.)

The scene you mention is horrendous. I in no way support this behavior. All I have done is support peace on both sides of the conflict. All I have said and am saying now is that you cannot categorize and generalize people like you do. You see Palestinians in the street celebrating and hate them. I hate too. I hate what that stands for and I hate how people no longer know the value of a precious human life. Why don't you see the Palestinian Cab Driver in NYC that died in debris today and feel the same sympathy? Or the pregnant Palestinian woman who lost her baby and died as a result of the backlash hatecrimes from Oklahoma City? Because they are Palestinian?

TO ME ALL HUMAN LIFE IS PRECIOUS, NOT JUST SOME.

All I am saying is don't generalize. Not ALL people of a certain ethinicity are good or bad. It's as simple as that. Don't they teach this idea in grade school?

Now, don't misconstrue what I am saying and turn it around like you usually do. I completely CONDEMN WHATERVER despicable & vile coward is behind this horrific incident. Hateful as it sounds, I hope they die a very painful death. That does not mean I will murder the first woman I see covering her head here in the US because I suspect she is Palestinian. There is a difference.

I HAVE NO DESIRE TO ENGAGE IN YET ANOTHER POLITICAL DEBATE AS IT IS NOT PRUDENT AT THIS POINTS TO USE THIS TRAGIC EVENT FOR SELF-GRATIFICATION. ONCE AGAIN, MY SINCEREST CONDOLENCES & PRAYERS TO ALL THOSE AFFECTED. MAY GOD ME WITH YOU. THIS CONCLUDES MY COMMENTS ON THE POLITICAL ASPECT OF THIS. COUNT ME OUT OF MAKING A MOCKERY OF THE LOSS OF INNOCENT LIFE.

Originally posted by buglady:
•first of all, if you guys want to do something to help, GO DONATE BLOOD! As an employee of a regional blood bank, i urge everyone who is able to give blood, do so. think of all the victims that are in need of blood....

I echo this idea. I had recently heard a report before any of this happened that New York was short on blood supply, but now can you imagine the need for it?!?

•You won?? Won what?? Praying4MD, always out to prove something.
I deleted it because it was a letter specifically to you and I learned after some run ins with Tony Clifton and SocialistMD, it is better to debate personally in private. I see you haven't learned this lesson yet.. I reconsidered after realizing that nobody else had any part in this and it was out of line with the topic on conversation. I am surprised you didn't realize this. You are usually pretty good about that. I don't want this to go any further. Not now, not here. I still hope it will proceed that way. If goes anywhere at all.
As far as "Hiding" that is hardly the case. Let my feelings be known, the palestinian scums that were dancing in the street have lost ALL support I may have had for their "plight." I also believe that the jihad is REAL.
Your hyper emotional response of "killing the next palestinian one may see" fits nicely with my understading of you. I never suggested or eluded to supporting genocide. Only hyperemotionalism can carry it that far.•

I think it is very sad that you resort to personal attacks on an individual. How does that change the thousands of lives lost today? We, the united states supported and ARMED the Taliban against the Soviets in the 1980s....add to that list Saddam Hussain, Noriega, and Pinochet...

oh and to Petros....please don't talk about corruption, when your own Greek government for the past 40 years has been filled with corruption...while we are at the point of making generalizations......does that mean you are a pedophile since the ancient greeks were also pedophiles?
:rolleyes:

It is dispicable that people divert attention from real important issues and resort to personal attacks against a group of people. I personally, think we should reconsider the policy of assassination, and get ourselves rid of saddam and othama once and for all....