World University Rankings

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dat_student

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
World University Rankings

http://66.102.7.104/search?q=cache:...sUnis.pdf+US+world+ranking&hl=en&client=opera

#1 Harvard.......IVY
#19 Columbia....IVY
#20 UCSF.........UC
#26 UCLA.........UC
#28 UPENN.......IVY

P.S. UC Berkeley is ranked #2 in the world but UCB doesn't have a dental school.

Members don't see this ad.

how are these rankings helpful if they aren't specifically ranking the dental programs?

philicity said:
how are these rankings helpful if they aren't specifically ranking the dental programs?

Yeah, from what I hear, Harvard is good for research, but thier clinical reputation isn't the greatest.

Members don't see this ad :)
So, you think Texas is a better school than Duke......and UC-San Diego is better than Northwestern? Looks made up to me. They must have used some whacked out criteria. Sorry dude, Berkeley is a great school, but not the second best in the world.

philicity said:

All five also have high matching rates. UCONN and UW also have high matching rates.

P.S. In my opinion, there is no difference between #19 and #28. The numbers keep changing. In fact, according to the national rankings UPENN is ranked higher than Columbia. :confused: We have millions of universities across the globe. That small difference is insignificant. The above list at least shows that all five are very well known in the world. I think fame helps a bit.

Ronald Jeremy said:
So, you think Texas is a better school than Duke......and UC-San Diego is better than Northwestern? Looks made up to me. They must have used some whacked out criteria. Sorry dude, Berkeley is a great school, but not the second best in the world.

You may be right. It's not my list. The article was published on Nov. 5 2004 by THE TIMES HIGHER. I guess we can at least conclude all 5 are very good schools. BTW, they list their criteria too (i.e. the 1st 5 columns -- the last column is the final score)

Party schools

1. University of Wisconsin.
2. Ohio University, Athens.
3. Lehigh University, Bethlehem, Pa.
4. University of California at Santa Barbara.
5. State University of New York at Albany.

There you have it. Your list has nothing to do with dental school, and niether does this! Actually, UW taught me to consume alcohol, which will help me cope in dental school.

i don't think anyone is arguing that these five schools are not some of the best dental schools in the u.s., we don't need a list to tell us that :laugh:
but in terms of using the list to rank dental schools, it's pretty unfair for the schools that offer great dental programs but lack world prestige because their other programs may not be as superb.

uh, hello guys????

didn't we forget to mention UVSC.

I find it very funny/interesting when people start to argue/focus on which school is more prestigious/well known.

I doubt if anybody has come up with an evaluation system that will take into consideration ALL of the things different schools have to offer, i don't even know how possible that is. For the 1000th time, Dental schools are not ranked for a reason. What may be #1 on your list of 'acceptables' may be #500 on another list.

This is what i know and feel.
NO schools will make me a greater person that my hard work and determination will, of course with God on my side (for those of you that may be offended by my addition of 'faith' to the issue-- I ain't apologizing, it's my life and my post!)

Now:
Any school that will offer me the best possible education that suits MY goals and MY aspirations is top on my list. Notice I emphasized "MY" meaning what suits me may not work for other people.

I don't care if its IVY league or CRAPPY league according to other people's descriptions/definitions.

Of all the people that have made the most impact on people/life/civilization/anything, How many went to IVY league schools and how many even had formal education?

Shouldn't that tell us that it's not about the school but what YOU do wherever you are that makes the impact, that effects the change?
If you are full of **** no school, not even an IVY league school will make you a better person.

Now my Q to dat_student: What's the purpose of this list and what do you expect to achieve with this thread? Just a question, i'm not trying to be rude or anything.

NB: just incase nobody noticed i'm in love with my /////////key! :D

you are wrong 'duh'. Everyone knows Howard is the best university and dental school in the world. Oh wait, that says Harvard. Never mind.

duh? said:
...Now my Q to dat_student: What's the purpose of this list...

I just wanted to pass some information that I gathered. The World University Rankings help me narrow my list down to a few schools. I didn't think it would even create a discussion. I felt it was just information and not a subject to be discussed.

Since there are no rankings for dental schools I am trying to look at other rankings to come up with a ranking system for myself (assuming that I'll get an acceptance letter from my top choices). Nobody has to agree with me.

These are the rankings that are important for me:

#1 Matching rate (For me it's important because I want to specialize. I want to go to a school that has a good matching rate)

#1 Research opportunities (I love to do research)

#3 Prestige/Reputation (For me it matters)

#3 Location (Do I want to live in city X for the rest of my life or at least for the next 4 yrs?)

(I have two number 3s & two number 1s. It's not a typo.)

Ronald Jeremy said:
you are wrong 'duh'. Everyone knows Howard is the best university and dental school in the world. Oh wait, that says Harvard. Never mind.
LOL. very funny!

Members don't see this ad :)
dat_student said:
I just wanted to pass some information that I gathered. The World University Rankings help me narrow my list down to a few schools. I didn't think it would even create a discussion. I felt it was just information and not a subject to be discussed.

Since there are no rankings for dental schools I am trying to look at other rankings to come up with a ranking system for myself (assuming that I'll get an acceptance letter from my top choices). Nobody has to agree with me.

These are the rankings that are important for me:

#1 Matching rate (For me it's important because I want to specialize. I want to go to a school that has a good matching rate)

#1 Research opportunities (I love to do research)

#3 Prestige/Reputation (For me it matters)

#3 Location (Do I want to live in city X for the rest of my life or at least for the next 4 yrs?)

(I have two number 3s & two number 1s. It's not a typo.)

Thanks for your response dat_student. I wish you the best of luck with your schools.
PS: When you put information on a forum like this, more than likely you expect it to elicit responses. I'm not buying your little tale of it "not being a subject to be discussed." :mad: GO TO YOUR ROOM! :laugh:

duh? said:
Thanks for your response dat_student. I wish you the best of luck with your schools...

Thanks for wishing me luck. I haven't received any rejection letters yet. I hope it's a good sign. I probably won't check my mail box for the 1st week of December and will try to stay away from SDN (trying to avoid potential shocks and awes). I wish you the best of luck as well.

TimR said:
uh, hello guys????

didn't we forget to mention UVSC.

...dude, it's just UVS now...and as the billboard says, 44 degrees and rising.

dat_student said:
I probably won't check my mail box for the 1st week of December and will try to stay away from SDN.
Promise?

Ronald Jeremy said:

Did I ever tell you guys that when I was sending DAT score reports from the ADA web site to schools, I clicked Howard instead of Harvard? I didn't realize it until I made a final check before paying.

It reminds me of a story my sister told me while she was an undergrad at Framingham State College (here in Massachusetts). She was talking to a fellow classmate and asked him why he chose Framingham. He said "well....actually...I thought I was applying to FITCHBURG State College. Oops." :rolleyes:

Talk about a bad answer to say during your interview! "Oh wait! This is HOWARD!!! Well, eh....I like your school, too!" :laugh:

coolslugs said:
Alright guys....here is the 2005 top 500 world universities list and ranking criterias I found.

http://ed.sjtu.edu.cn/rank/2005/ARWU2005FullList2.pdf
http://ed.sjtu.edu.cn/rank/file/ARWU-M&P.pdf

The rankings look pretty reasonable to me, but it still doesn't have anything to do with dental schools!

Do you really think that outweighs Times' rankings? :confused: That is done by two Shanghai Jiao Tong University students. :eek: In any case, all the rankings seem to put UCLA, UCSF, UPENN, Columbia & Harvard amongst the best universities in the world. Thanks for sharing your findings.

P.S. I doubt UC San Diego is better than UCLA but that's just my opinion.

dat_student said:
Do you really think that outweighs Times' rankings? :confused: That is done by two Shanghai Jiao Tong University students. :eek: In any case, all the rankings seem to put UCLA, UCSF, UPENN, Columbia & Harvard amongst the best universities in the world. Thanks for sharing your findings.

P.S. I doubt UC San Diego is better than UCLA but that's just my opinion.

You seem to care a lot about what other people think....